homemade pork lard

D.Merrick

Looking to render my own homemade pork lard for some mexican cooking. Is there a specific part of the pig i should be requesting fat from my butcher?

The fat from around the kidneys - but it's not likely he'll have it, or much anyway.

Just get fatback, the skin (usually present) and the underlying fat that's on the back of the pig.

This is what I do to make it.

Good topic revival, and timely. I picked up some leaf lard when I was in NYC last October. Used it for some pies and there's no going back for me now. I'm having trouble finding it local. Thinking about paying to have some shipped. I heard that the Dietrich's (mentioned in the old post above) quality wanders a bit and sometimes isn't leaf when you get it, but could call them to make sure.

My local butcher tells me that he can get it for me from Kissing Fresh (packer in Philly) so need to get back in and have him check for me. Probably give him a call today. I'm looking for leaf though.

So Kevin, are you saying you use lard from fatback for pie crusts without any noticeable difference to flavor, or you just kind of like it with a little pork flavor to it. Either way still have to find a source, but fat back might be easier.

D. Merrick - there are 3 different types/grades of fat for lard. First grade is leaf from around the kidneys and inside the loin, second grade is fatback beneath the back skin and muscle, third grade is caul fat from around the digestive organs, intestines. Butchers will often use caul fat as a wrap or cover for roasts (beef, pork, etc). Leaf is typically used for pie crusts and baking because of the absence of pork flavor, fat back is used for most everything else (deep frying general cooking). If you see unrendered leaf fat you'll see why it's called "leaf". Very different look and texture to back fat.

The butcher I mentioned above that I use showed me his tub of caul fat he was using to wrap his roasts and told me he should be able to get leaf from the same supplier.

Basically you need to have access to someone who is breaking down pigs. There's a really good one near me that sells retail but they don't render lard over the winter/off months.

I'll definitely solve my source problem for leaf soon and figure fatback will be available same source as well....

Back