How do you grind your chile's?

Kevin-kevdawg

TVWBB Member
Could I purchase a cheap coffee grinder and would this be my best option? If so, would one want to clean it after each chile is ground, before grinding the next? How would you clean it, brush out with a pastry brush, outside preferably?

Thanks,
Kevin

I use an electric coffee grinder for dried chiles, herbs and spices. It works great. To clean it, merely run some dry (uncooked) rice through it; works like a charm.

Paul

It helps to have a coarse pastry brush dedicated to sweeping it out after each grind.

beware of cloves. they discolor the clear plastic cover.

Sounds like you guys are referring to the electric units with a small "whack-it-around" blade inside (as opposed to a burr grinder).

Last time I picked-up some Guajillo chilis from Penzeys, the moisture content in them seemed a bit too high - I tried everything in my non-hispanic arsenal: (I come from a long line of Germans, and am not afraid to admit that I know "jack-squat" about grinding chilis)
icon_razz.gif

- they did not crumble well
- they were too tough to be chopped easily
- I tried crushing them up with a Mortar & Pestle, but that didn't work either.

My guess is that most would "gum-up" a burr grinder, wether electric or old-fashioned hand-cranked.

Please clarify

Ron
I use my Motar & Pestle and throw in some sea salt which helps grind them and absorbs the moisture. I always use salt when cooking so it has nil effect.
The other thing to do is soak them in hot water for 1/2 hour Just enough to cover and then blend them with 1/2 the water makes a great chilli paste.

regards

If the chili's are not dry enough to grind yet I usually toast them in a skillet on the stove top for a couple of minutes and then grind them. I usually leave the seeds in. It's probably easier to toast them in the oven, low temp and then grind.

Clark

Dedicated electric coffee grinder for grinding. The dry white rice trick noted earlier works like a charm for cleanup. I keep another coffee grinder for strictly coffee. I accidentally made a bodacious pot of coffee the morning after a late night of grinding smoked habaneros. One only makes THAT mistake once!

I use a dehydrator at about 130-140 degrees with the chile cut in half for drying.

Back