PDA

View Full Version : Kelly's Kugela



timothy
02-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Kelly's Kugela:

This is a Lithuanian side dish. Very flavorful.


5 # red skin potatoes grated as finely as possible

1 pound bacon finely diced

1 large onion finely chopped

handful of flour ( about c.)

1 large can evaporated milk

5 eggs

salt and pepper to taste


Fry bacon and onions until bacon is crisp add bacon, onions, and of bacon drippings to the grated potatoes combine thoroughly with remaining ingredients pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees or until top is just starting to brown Let stand for approximately 20 minutes.
The texture will be very dense.
Cut into squares and serve with a dollop of sour cream (sprinkle a dash of sugar on top of sour cream)

Enjoy!!! http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rita Y
02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Timothy, thanks for posting this recipe. Is it a family recipe?

Have you ever tried using frozen shredded hash brown potatoes instead of fresh? Or sausage instead of the bacon?

This sounds like a recipe that John, who cooks for a shelter, could use.

It's a versatile dish; breakfast, brunch, side for 'Q, midnight snack....http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rita

Bryan S
02-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Timothy, This sounds wonderful thanks for posting. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif You should delete this post (copy it first) and then paste the recipe over in the side dish fourm, It'll get lost in here. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Maybe Chris will do a drive by and move it for you.

timothy
02-17-2008, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rita Y:
Timothy, thanks for posting this recipe. Is it a family recipe?

Have you ever tried using frozen shredded hash brown potatoes instead of fresh? Or sausage instead of the bacon?

This sounds like a recipe that John, who cooks for a shelter, could use.

It's a versatile dish; breakfast, brunch, side for 'Q, midnight snack....

Hi Rita,
Yes this is a family recipe.
I tried this once with hash browns but it takes away from the fresh red potato taste and also the texture is not the same.
It is a lot of work to shred taters, but we now have the kitchen aid food processor and I am done in 5 minutes. This is a very nice machine.
I'm sure that you can change it up to use your own ingredients.
If you try my recipe please let me know how you liked it.
Take care,

timothy
02-17-2008, 11:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Timothy, This sounds wonderful thanks for posting. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif You should delete this post (copy it first) and then paste the recipe over in the side dish fourm, It'll get lost in here. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Maybe Chris will do a drive by and move it for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Bryan,
I moved it. Sorry about that I noticed after I did it.
Thank you for the update...

Rita Y
02-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks Timothy. I figured that the frozen hash browns might adversely affect the texure.

One more question: How do they reheat? If there are any leftovers, that is! I have to leave the house 2 hours before serving and was wondering how they would fare if I baked them a day ahead and reheated them just before leaving the house.

On the other hand, I could prep the bacon and onions the day before. The rest would be easy to assemble and bake shortly before leaving if I have enough space in my ovens. (Thinking out loud here.)

I'm planning to make a small portion to see how it will work for the group ASP. I'll be sure to let you know.

Rita

timothy
02-17-2008, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rita Y:
Thanks Timothy. I figured that the frozen hash browns might adversely affect the texure.

One more question: How do they reheat? If there are any leftovers, that is! I have to leave the house 2 hours before serving and was wondering how they would fare if I baked them a day ahead and reheated them just before leaving the house.

On the other hand, I could prep the bacon and onions the day before. The rest would be easy to assemble and bake shortly before leaving if I have enough space in my ovens. (Thinking out loud here.)

I'm planning to make a small portion to see how it will work for the group ASP. I'll be sure to let you know.

You can reheat it in microwave.
you can make it the day before.
Reheat in micro or oven.
If you use the oven, I suggest reheating it at 300 for about 45 minutes.

Rita Y
02-17-2008, 01:35 PM
That's very helpful, Timothy. I'll add that information to my notes.

Thanks,
Rita