PDA

View Full Version : Smoked goose and pheasant

Biff Krekling
11-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Hello All...

Has anyone smoked a whole lessor Canadian Goose with skin on or whole pheasant with skin off? Need all the information you can provide.

Thanks again,

Biff

Chris Allingham
11-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Moving to Recipe Requests forum.

Regards,
Chris

Phil R.
11-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Biff,

I've never smoked any kind of goose, but I have smoked pheasant before. Maybe I might have overcooked it, but it seems to get very stringy and dry. Not bad if you make it into a salad type thing for sandwhiches, but not exactly the greatest thing ever.

K Kruger
11-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Pheasant overcooks quickly.

I'm not into the wrap-in-bacon approach for lean fowl; some like it. On occasion, for pheasant, I've sliced along either side of the breastbone and either larded the incisions or tucked in fatty bacon. I baste with a fat-based baste, frequently.

See this post (http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5980069052/m/2420008815?r=7560000915#7560000915) as well.

k walsh
12-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I have done both. Maybe I can help.

Ken

Biff Krekling
12-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Ken,

I would appreciate all the advice you have. My friend is quite the fowl hunter and has a bunch of geese and pheasant.

Thanks,

Biff

k walsh
12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Biff,
I do a cure and smoke with my geese and pheasants. I follow the cure instructions for the liquid brine on the Morton Tender Quick bag and enhance the mix with some garlic and bay leaves. I generally leave the geese in for 2 days. I then do a smoker cook and bring the meat upto 165F. I generally serve the meat cool/chilled. Wild goose is a nice rich meat and with this curing you can slice it paper thin if so desired and serve that way.

If you are looking to cook birds with smoke then I do both the geese and pheasants on my Weber Gas grill. I place a pan of water below the grates, place smoker chips in tin foil off to the side over the flavourizer bars and cook at 325F. I use apple wood mixed with hickory for the smoke blend and baste with some olive oil. Do not overcook the geese!! A thermometer is essential. Take the bird off when the meat temp is aropund 150-155F. I don't marinate the birds for this kind of cooking but I do stuff with apples and onions in the cavity. You can do the marinade injection like a deep fried turkey if you are so inclined and this works for both the pheasants and geese. I like to seve the cooked bird with wild chokecherry jelly.

A third method with the geese is to breast them. You can leave the skin on. With the breasts I marinade them in a "Greek" mix of 2parts olive oil to 1 part lemon juice and a little hit of vinegar and for seasonings I add salt pepper, oregano, garlic and a teaspoon of sugar. Marinade the breasts for at least a couple of hours - I like to do mine for around 6 hrs. Fire up your grill and get it very hot - a searing hot. Place the breasts skin side down first then turn over. You want these to be cooked RARE. Remove from grill and slice thin - it will be like some of the best tenderloin you have ever had both in texture and taste.

Enjoy wildgame - it's natural

Ken

k walsh
01-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Bif,
Did you get a chance to cook some waterfowl?