Smoked Sirloin

bob taylor

TVWBB Member
Has anyone eaten at a restaurant called Texas Land & Cattle? They have a smoked sirloin that I would really like to re-create. Thanks

Oh my gosh, I just had the smoked sirloin tonight. It was delicious and tender. I came straight to the forum to see if I could find a recipe.

"hickory smoked sirloin, pepper cursted and slow cooked to perfection"

I'm going to try to reproduce this some time. I hope I can find a recipe that gets me started though.

You need only to rub a nice thick sirloin with your rub of choice and smoke it slowly to an internal of 15-20? less than your target. (Start it cold - don't warm it first to room temp.) Then sear it to finish.

Kevin,

I assume you suggest starting it cold to allow more time for smoke flavor, but what's your rule of thumb for allowing meat to warm up before cooking? Thanks.

Correct. Starting cold - preferably with a Minion start, adding the meat at assembly, and with a slow temp come-up - will allow more time for smoke adherence.

There is another reason: Enzymes in the meat which are responsible for increasing tenderness during wet- or dry-aging increase their activity as conditions warm. One enzyme inactivates ~105? and the other ~120?. Maximizing the time spent at lower temps can increase tenderness.

For typical steaks one is grilling hot and fast I think it's better to allow time on the counter before cooking. Ditto for larger or thicker roasts and steaks where one is cooking at higher temps. Putting a large cold roast into a hot cooker or oven can lead to a more cooked exterior while the interior catches up. Larger or thicker roasts that are going to be cooked slowly for while before searing - think tri-tip, eye of round, et al. - are better, imo, loaded in cold in a cooker or oven at low temps.

Back