Need help with how to cook rib eye roast

Hey guys,

I found this at the Asian store. It's ungraded rib eye. Got a bag for $22. I need to know how to smoke/marinade this. I keep reading people talking about grilling and not smoking. Here is what I got below over to the right side

faa3b1ca.jpg

I would personally probably rotisserie it or cut it into steaks. I would cook it about 425 or so (maybe a bit higher), get a really nice crust, taking it to med rare and then slice it after a rest.

You could definately smoke it low and slow with no ill effects though. YOu wouldn't get as nice of a crust but it would still taste great!

Clark

Yeah I've never purchased rib eye before or even made steaks for that matter.

So what your saying is I'm wasting the rib eye by slow cooking it as it will be more like a roast, rather than a steak with charred skin that holds in they moisture and gives better flavor.

I'm still trying to source brisket here for a reasonable price.

Kind of. It will be a different flavor. Think Prime Rib (just without the prime grading in this case). Usually you want it with a nice crust and on the rare side in the middle. It won't hold in juices but it does add flavor.

If you smoke it (meaning low and slow because you could still add smoke if you grill or rotiss) you will get a more even doneness and be lacking that sort of crust (you will get some bark of course). Not bad in any way but my preference would be hot and fast, especially on a rotiss if you have although just frilling is fine too. I would probably reverse sear this guy if I was doing it that way.

Cutting steaks off that would be pretty easy, just a straight down cut to your desired thickness if you would like to do that.....

Clark

I looked at the Ribeye and it seems very thin. Basically if I was to cut steaks out of them they'd be like 1" x 4". More like 'slivers' than steaks. The package is 7lbs.

Ok since it's only a $22 cut and it's my first go at smoking, I was thinking that maybe I should just use the new smoker and break it in with the Ribeye and not turn them into steaks because of their odd size?

Is it ok for me to do that just for this time?

Here is a pic of my new Webers assembled tonight:

9937e0b0.jpg

Absolutely it is! Just don't take the internal too high like you would with a brisket or pork shoulder. Go low and slow and take it off at about med or so (your preference!) Take some pictures when it's all said and done!

The new family looks awesome!

Clark

here's all the temperature charts for a good rib roast....it is made for the oven, but the temps are the same if you want to cook it in your WSM.

http://whatscookingamerica.net.../ClassicPrimeRib.htm

When I do rib roast the internal temps are crucial...I don't even look to the outside temps if the internal temps reach 125-135 degrees, the roast is done. To me that is the most important temperature to watch. And don't forget to rest the meat after you take it out from the oven.....the temps will climb another 10-15 degrees.

Back