crunchy wings

DonFrame

TVWBB Member
Has any one made these from dizzy pig site very good
These crunchy breaded wings are awesome. I had my doubts about breading wings to be cooked on the grill, but was amazed how the coating cooks up crunchy and golden brown. I have tried several different cooking methods, and have settled on cooking between 1.5 and 2.5 hours at a low 250 degrees direct over the coals (indirect I'd go 275). Seems to work best on an elevated grate, about 12-15 inches from the coals. The long cooking time helps render the fat in the skin, and produces a crunchy exterior, and a moist juicy interior.

Breaded Slow-Grilled Almost-Fried Chicken Wings

Makes 12-15 wings

Breading:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
2 tbsp Dizzy Pig rub (works well with all rubs except Cow Lick....I used Tsunami Spin
2 tsp salt

Egg Wash:
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
(you might need 2 eggs and 1 cup milk for a large batch)

Technique:
First thing I do is clip off the wing tips
I use my own rub I like

Don, great find! I needed something somewhat decadent tonight and cooked these on my 2000 Weber Genesis gasser. The wings are absolutely incredible; very moist in the interior and crispy on the outside! I used Arrowhead Mills organic whole-grain yellow cornmeal and the coating was not "sandy" at all.

I cut the wings into "drumstick" and wing portions. I removed one bone from the 2-bone wing portions. Next time I'll make "lollipops" of them for appetizers.

The rub I used was a salt-free chicken rub that I'd developed. I added 1/4 teaspoon table salt (actually, 1/2 teaspoon Diamond kosher salt) to the flour mix to compensate for using a salt-free rub.

I put the egg mixture in a 2-quart bowl and tossed the prepared wings in it. (A few shakes of Frank's into the egg mixture would be very good, and I'll do that the next time.)

I put the dry dredge mix into a plastic bag, added the drained egged wings, and tossed them thoroughly in the dry mixture to coat evenly. Then I dumped it all into a coarse strainer and bounced it a few times to remove any excess flour/cornmeal mixture.

An important step: I transferred the coated wings to a cooling rack over a sheet pan and refrigerated, uncovered, for (a minimum of) 1 hour.

Here's my timing on the gasser:

Preheat (my 2000) Weber Genesis gas grill to Direct/Low heat. Oil the grates.

Cook wings on first side: 10 minutes; rotate, and cook 10 minutes more on the same side. Flip to second side.

Second side: Cook for 8 minutes, rotate, and cook 6 to 8 minutes more until evenly browned.

I served these with grilled corn-on-the-cob (rubbed with Frank's and a light spray of EVOO before grilling) and celery sticks with blue cheese dip.

We are still swooning! Thanks for posting this recipe. It is definitely a keeper!

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">An important step: I transferred the coated wings to a cooling rack over a sheet pan and refrigerated, uncovered, for (a minimum of) 1 hour </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes that is a important step can't beleave I left it out .I'm glad you liked them you can tune this recipe to your own liking yes Frank's would be good in the wash I sometimes put in chipotle powder or cayenne powder in the wash

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeremy Laux:
Don, your recipe post was cut off...or appears to be cut off right around the "technique" stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeremy, Just follow Rita.
icon_wink.gif

Could I do this recipe on the WSM using high heat (275-325)with an empty water pan. Would they still come out crunchy or is it better on the grill? I have a bunch in the freezer from the winter that my wife wants me to cook this weekend.

i'm doing these today with dizzy dust as the rub. i was going to try swamp venom but my 4 yera old said he wanted some wings too. they are on the WSM right now at a temp of 275 with an empty foiled pan.

i would say these were just OK. i preffer them with just a little rub and grilled indirect high heat with a little smoke.

Back