Turkey "pastrami" done photo and a question too salty

Yianni

TVWBB Fan
Here it is...looks great but toooo salty.

So I have never brined before..I did it for 48 hours and this was a butterball with 15% or 20 i forget injection already.

Question is for the next one do I bother brining at all or will I lose that lunchmeat texture and taste? Is brining necessary for that or is the 15% there enough..or just brine 24 hours or 2 hours?

The brine smelled great but I think the salt overpowered it.

Dry rub with no brine? Any good rubs for turkey sandwhich meat to share?

Thanks!

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...8107116/m/9371026136

IMG_20120119_180547.jpg

I would never brine a pre-enhanced bird. It is a guarantee for an over-salty finished dish. Try to find fresh breast meat, or skip the brine and just do a dry rub of spices if you have to get enhanced breast. Pics look great.
Did you find the turkey to still be too salty once it is in a sandwich?

It was not that bad once it was in a sandwhich but my body still feels the over saltedness if that makes sense.

So if I can only find a pre brined and just rub and smoke it will it still have the same lunch meat texture?

I am lucky enough to have a meat slicer to keep it thin.

Just as you can add salt with a brine, you can reverse the process with cold water. Place your pastrami for let's say 30 minutes in cold water, and remove the water.
Do this on a sample first, so you get the time right.
I's not an ideal process, but it will remove some of the salt.

By the way, your pastrami looks fantastic!

I like it salty and with a heavy smoke. You still have to get the feel after placed in a sub/sandwitch with some other stuff.

Looks great! A+

Oh wow, that looks good. "Professional" I would say. I've been trying to find a reason to get an electric slicer (extra cleaning required is the biggest drawback at this point for me). I think your turkey gave me a reason to get one!

Good work. (no brine with an injected bird next time)

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I am going on a mission to find some non-injected turkey breast. I think I saw some but they had the bone in I suppose I could just trim them myself.

The slicer is awesome! I did a lot of reading about them and decided that I might as well get a “better” one. The only reason I picked one up (it was a little pricey compared to the $99 ones) is my wife had a lot of credit at Macy’s from returning wedding gifts so I deiced to get a gift for myself!

This is what I have, cleaning is not that bad. most of it comes apart and I wipe down the base then clean it with a damp sponge or paper towels.

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Ch...riTilt/dp/B000065ENH

41QXQDZMMEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back