Posole

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
I'm going to try making Posole and the recipe calls for dried Chili Peppers. Will fresh pods work?

I would think dried would be better. My Wife cheats a lot when she makes posole and just adds a can of red enchilada sauce.

Thats what I'm doin tomorrow. I like the dried for a red posole, but my son's buddys mom makes a green one with the fresh pods which is very good!

Tim

I've made the recipe from Cooks Country often and it has become a favorite. I'm making it for New Year's Eve.

Like your recipe, it calls for dried chiles (anchos). They are reconstituted and blended with sweated onions & garlic to make the flavor base for the stew. I don't see un-dried chiles working here but could be wrong as I've never tried it.

Can you not get dried or are you just wanting to try the recipe with un-dried? If you can get the dried, I'd follow the recipe the first time and adjust the next. If you can't get them, go ahead with the un-dried...only way to know, IMO.

Good luck!

Here's the first time I made it. Probably made it a dozen times since. Always a crowd pleaser.

Lew,
the intent of using dried chilis is to get a more intense flavor.
I think the reason that dried chilis exist is to have them year round..
Posoole is a staple and traditionally a dish served around the holidays. (At least in my family) I am sure there was a time when find ing fresh peppers in winter was difficult, but not so much anymore.
You can sub fresh, you just need to taste it and see if it is to your liking.
My mom is from New Mexico and she is a chile snob. She only likes a certain kind, says its the best. I think its called Chimayo or that may just be the city they come from.
Enjoy!

Never heard of Posole b4 but now it's on my to-do list! Also had to look up hominy
icon_wink.gif
I have a Latin market close to my house that i'll be visiting in the near future.

Can you post your recipe Lew? Would also love to see pic's.

AJ - Might you have a recipe you could post...wink wink family recipe
icon_wink.gif

Back