Ribeyes and Hasselbacks

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
Found some decent looking choice ribeyes on sale @ Kroger for $7.99/lb, so they had to come home with us. Last time I grilled something and asked the fam what kind of taters they wanted to go with the meal, I didn't hear "Hasselbacks, please" as my answer of choice. So this time, I didn't ask... I just announced that we were having Hasselbacks. Fortunately for them
icon_wink.gif
, they remembered how wonderful potatoes cooked this way taste.

Now on to the good stuff. Started 3/4 chimney of KBlue and set up the OTG. Prepped the Hasselbacks with some melted butter, EVOO, Parmesan cheese and a smashed clove of garlic. I started putting them in an aluminum pan to prevent flare ups when placed directly on the grate, as well as minimizing general grill gunkiness. After the 'backs had been on the grill indirect for 15 minutes or so, I moved them to the direct side to make room for the ribeyes to be started indirect for a reverse sear. Seasoned only with kosher salt, pepper and garlic granules.

I can see why Mr. Lampe likes and uses his 26" kettle, as the additional grill real estate can come in handy, especially when you need more indirect heat on any given cook. Santa needs to bring me a 26'er this year.

Lookin' good so far.
icon_cool.gif

0202121821a.jpg

After rearranging, the steaks get a little direct heat. Added a hickory chunk just before this to add some smoky goodness.
0202121831.jpg

Steady as she goes, cap'n. Looks like the hickory chunk is doing its job, judging by this pic. I'm liking my slide aside lid holder that I got for Christmas. Makes it look like my OTG is smiling as it works toward grilled goodness.
0202121828a.jpg

Pulled them @ 125°, and let 'em rest for a few minutes on the counter. These look pretty darn tasty, don't they?
0202121840b.jpg

Called the fam over for dinner, and they quickly converged and left only an empty pan. I managed to fend them off long enough to sneak half a steak into the fridge for lunch today, and I cooked a couple of extra 'backs for lunch & eating later. Also had a Romaine salad, but we had to run some errands for a cook I'm doing this weekend, so no plated pics. Trust me, it was goooood!

Thanks for looking.

I am jealous! Awesome steaks.

Just to add 2 cents... I score the fat in a few places along the edge of the meat to keep the steaks from doing that little "curl".

Now I'll just shut up and drool at the last pic.
icon_biggrin.gif

¤¤ G•O•O•D ¤¤ L•O•O•K•I•N•G ¤¤ C•O•O•K•I•N•G ¤¤ J•I•M ¤¤

Back