A smoke question (obviously)

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
For a first time turkey smoke, instructions (apple brine) says to let the coals get fully lit b4 putting the bird in.

I know from a previous beef smoke, it was different (always did an oven roast) in that it seemed overly smokey.

Well, duh. Of course it does.

My question relates to the timing of insertion so to speak.

I'm using apple and/or cherry with this and would prefer less "briq" smoke (if that's what I'm describing).

By letting the briq's get fully lit, does that reduce the amount of "smokiness" that gets imparted to the meat?

Does this make sense?

By letting the briquettes get fully lit, you shouldn't have any of that undesirable chemical flavor (yuk!) that briquettes can give off, if this is what you are referring to. "Smoke" flavor, in my experience, comes from the smoke wood that is added. If less smoke flavor is what you are going for, just simply add less smoke wood. Not sure if I understood your question correctly.

Cant really aggre with russ here. The chemical flavour of the briq´s dont really come thru with the MM. And that is 98% unlit!?(we are talking quality briq´s here,dont know whats available in the us)

But if you are smoking a turkey you whant that smoker to keep 325-375 i guess.

So start with a chimney of unlit in the ring. then put a starter cube ontop of the ulit. Light the cube,Put a full chimney ontop of the cube. In 15 min you will have a roaring fire in the chimney and a well started fire below. Pour the chimney ontop of the rest. Assemble the cooker with all vents opend and put the bird on.

Add wood-->wait untill its done.

As you might know already birds take on alot of smoke flavour so be gentle.

Good Luck!

I think you both answered it. I probably didn't let all of the briq's get fully lit in the WSM before putting the meat in. It was that "chem" smell rather than the wood I used.

Too anxious apparently
icon_wink.gif

I'll be a bit more patient this time.

Tks

Yep that's the standard method for using the K for that recipe.
Some folks are sensitive to that smell, so they switch to an all natural briq or just straight lump.

Tim

Yes the recipe that your referring to does call for the "standard method" using kingsford briquettes and not the "minion method". I agree with Daniel that when using the minion method, no off flavor from the unlit coals is imparted to the meat. However, when using the "standard method" as in this case, if you don't allow all coals to become lit before adding meat, you could certainly pick up some of that "chem" flavor as you described. Perhaps this is due to the fact that more briquettes are being lit simutaneously? Not sure, but if you assemble the cooker and you have smoke rolling out of it that has that "chemical" smell, you may want to wait a few minutes till that "goes away" before adding meat
icon_wink.gif
. I have noticed this happening when I have gotten in a hurry and not allowed all coals to light before cooking.

I THINK it's got more to do with briquettes openly burning instead of ashing/smoldering. I believe the smell/taste is related to the byproducts of high temp burning vs. an ash-covered briq. Of course, I'm probably totally wrong.

I light my WSM Minion and choke the vents before adding any wood. When the K smoke stops, I know it's time for chunks, chips, or pellets.

Everything turned out ok. Just waited till the initial burn was complete, added the wood and away we went.

Turkey turned out perfect but may use less wood next time. Not a problem but a choice to make.

Back