Beef article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
FYI - this article ran in my local newspaper over the weekend and also appears on Quicken.com.

Regards,
Chris
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial" size="2">
Buying Beef In The US: More Brand Names, Fewer Butchers

In a bid to boost profits and cut labor costs, giants of the meatpacking and grocery industries are trying to change the way consumers buy beef. It would no longer be cut and wrapped at the back of the store, instead arriving at supermarkets prepackaged and carrying brand names that packers hope will one day be as familiar to U.S. consumers as Kellogg's and Campbell's.

Packers can make an extra 60% profit on prepackaged, name-brand beef, said Christine McCracken, an analyst for Midwest Research. Beef that's sold in bulk to supermarkets for $1 per pound would go for $1.60 if it's sold with the brand.

Stores make up the difference in costs by eliminating the need for meat cutters, who are among the highest-paid employees.

For consumers, the pre-packaged beef will be handled less, reducing the risk of bacterial contamination, and it will be easier for stores and health officials to trace when there is a problem, say industry officials.

Special leak-proof, oxygen-rich plastic packages - a new development in the food industry - ensure that the meat has the bright red color of meat that's cut inside the store. Without that packaging, the beef would turn brown, a sure turnoff to shoppers.

"We really believe it's the way the industry is going to go," said Gene Leman, chief executive of fresh meats for beef industry leader IBP Inc., which introduced its Thomas E. Wilson line of beef last year.

Wal-Mart is switching all its beef sales nationwide to Thomas E. Wilson.

Consumers want "a name in the fresh meat case that they can trust time and time again," Leman said.

Poultry giant Tyson Foods Inc. is betting IBP is right. Tyson, whose brand name now dominates U.S. chicken sales, wants to do the same in beef and pork and recently won a bidding war with rival Smithfield Foods to buy IBP for $3.2 billion.

The deal will give Tyson "an unparalleled ability to develop innovative, branded food products and market them successfully," says Tyson chairman John Tyson.

Nearly 39% of all meat sold at retail last year was prepackaged, or "case-ready," compared with 23% in 1997, according to the Food Marketing Institute, the supermarket industry's trade association.

"The consumer pays about the same price and he gets a better product. It's a win-win for everybody," said McCracken.

Not everybody feels that way.

The United Food and Commercial Workers union, which represents supermarket butchers, predicts many consumers will reject the prepackaged meat in favor of beef that's cut in-store because they'll see it as fresher. Wal-Mart's real aim, according to union officials, is to prevent meat cutters from unionizing.

Packers are trying to "force-feed" consumers, said Gary O'Brien, a meat cutter at an upscale Dorothy Lane Market in Cincinnati that has no plans to stop cutting its own meat.

"There are so many people who want special cuts. They want a porterhouse that's cut an inch and a half thick," he said. "They're going to have to come to these smaller shops. It's like the old gas stations that work on cars. They are fewer and fewer but you still need them."

On the Net: National Cattlemen's Beef Association: www.beef.org

American Meat Institute: www.meatami.org </font> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris
It will make it harder for people like us to get the cuts we want.
You will need to get to know the local
wholesaler to get what you want.
I've also heard that they are going to add
water solutions to beef like is being done with a lot of pork. Drive prices up and I don't think it's a better product.
Jim

Chris, thanks for the post. Very informative! I will write to my representatives in Congress again.

Could you give me hint where the article is located at the Quicken site?

Thanks

Brian

Brian...

I have to ask why you think this warrants the attention of our Representatives???? I guess they don't have enough to regulate already??? Now, we need them to regulate how beef is packaged??? Shouldn't we tell them about chicken packaging too?????

Last I checked, we lived in America..you know, land of the FREE. I DO NOT want his government in my life ANYMORE THAN IT IS!!! Which is far too much!!

We all have a choice here..if you don't like the product, don't buy the product. If there are enough of us who do not like the product and don't buy the product, then the product will change. As to beef disappearing from small butcher shops, did chickens disappear from butcher shops when they became pre-packaged?

We don't need the government regulating away FREE ENTERPRISE!!!

With all due respect...

Stogie

Kevin,

I do agree with you that we do live in America and that the Federal government has become too intrusive in our personal lives and small business enterprises.

However, I think the other points are debatable and the Federal government should consider involvement.

Specifically:

Since this thread arose because of beef packaging, I offer examples of Federal legislation such as the "Pure Food and Drug Act" (1906) and the "Meat Inspection Act" (1906). These legislative acts were the result of public outrage resulting from Upton Sinclair's novel "The Jungle". The Federal government became involved in regulating the beef packing industry because the beef packing companies would not regulate themselves.

Additionally, during the early 1900s other Federal legislation was enacted because the dominant company or companies of a particular industry would not perform and self-regulation. I cite the Elkins Act(1903); the Hepburn Act(1906); the Mann-Elkins Act(1910); the Communications Act(1934 - though not originally enacted to regulate the telecommunications industry, this act was the basis for the AT&T divestiture in the early 1980s) and the all encompassing Sherman Anti-trust Act.

All of the aforementioned legislation, except for the Telecommunications Act, was enacted because of public outrage because the public did not have the option of shopping for a better product or a competitive rate.

Ancillary point:

No chickens didn't disappear from butcher shops. The butcher shops disappeared. The local butcher shops could not purchase the minimum quantity demanded by the packager and then couldn't compete price wise with those that could. Possibly an example of where the public shops by $/lb and not quality? I have to admit I am guilty of this.

In closing,
Kevin, if you wish to discuss this further via email, snail mail or phone then I readily accept a spirited and friendly debate. I don't wish to clog Chris's excellent web site for the WSM with a debate about Federalism vs. State and Individual rights.

I also feel that you post was more in the flame mode than counter-point mode. Just had to get this off my chest and be honest with you. I have read numerous posts of yours here and at other forums and can't recall so many caps or such a direct rebuttal. If I said or posted something in the past that offended you then I sincerely apologize.

Brian

Hi Brian!!

Agreed, NO MORE space here for politics!

I don't know what set me off, just that time of month I guess!! LOL I really do have too much time on my hands!

I would rather debate politics over a cold beer, near an open pit with a rack of ribs cooking....perhaps some day..

I suggest we bury the proverbial hatchet and move on. You have NEVER offended in any way and yes I was rather spirited in my response! If I offended I am sorry.

Thanks for your reply Brian.

Stogie

Hi Kevin,

I'll buy the beer, ice and ribs only if you will cook the ribs. I have yet to cook a decent slab of ribs on the WSM.

Take care.

Brian

Hey Brian:

I heartily recommend trying some baby backs using the method of tieing the ends together to form a ring 'o ribs. I've found this to be the best way to insure even doneness (the ends don't get overdone). I rotate & flip them just once, and it works for me. I know Chris talks about this method somewhere on this site, but I can't remember where.

It doesn't work as well with a big rack of spare ribs (St. Louis ribs?) as they tend to slant too much.

Weber Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the advice.

To date, I have tried 3 1/2 up several times and once some St. Louis style. I haven't tried baby backs yet because I don't want to spend the money and end up with a marginal end product. Over the winter I have had time to review my rib cooking records and results, think about it, read posts by others and do some more thinking about it. I have some ideas about what went wrong and want to try some ideas.

I would like to get some decent ribs for the dinner table using the larger slabs first then try the other cuts of ribs.

Brian

OK Brian...let's turn you into a rib guru!!

Explain the problems you have encountered so far. There are usually only a couple of things that can go wrong.

We'll have you cooking competition ribs by next month!

Stogie

Kevin, thank you for offering to help!!!

Tough, tough, tough, tough. BTW, did I mention the ribs were tough?

I have a mental picture of a perfect rib that has a slight tug when pulled from the bone and an al dente texture when chewing the meat.

I think that the 3 1/2 up slabs that I have bought at the local grocery chain have to much fat trimmed off. I have looked at the same size slabs at Costco and there is considerably more fat.

I think that I don't cook the ribs long enough or maybe I am cooking at to high a temperature for ribs. The meat has pulled back slightly from the end of the bone but not all the fat or collagen has been rendered.

I usually cook in the 260* temperature range and a cooking session for ribs usually lasts about 3 hours.

I think that I should mop more often for ribs than a pork butt

I rub the ribs with Wild Willy. I removed the membrane on one slap and not the others. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks again

Brian

Brian
Not cooking long enough spares 5-6 hours.
Can maybe get away with 3 -4 hours on BabyBacks.
I know folks that cook as high as 275? but you run the risk of burning the sugar in the rub.
I use IBP (Costso carries them up here) ribs a lot, buy them by the case.
Do all the trimming myself. I do remove the membrane and only have rub on them a couple of hours before cooking. Go lighter with rub on ribs than you would with butt or brisket.
One method of testing for doneness is to stick them with a toothpick between the bones, if goes thru like it's going thru butter their done.
Jim

There you go Brian!!

Jim nailed it!! Not long enough. I have taken 8 hours to do Bronto spares.....that's what you are cooking..I call 'em 5 and up!

Of course, I cook at 225? and peak a lot so that is why it takes me so long. When looking for pull-back on the bone.....a good 1 1/2" is when they are done. Also, Jim's toothpick test is very good as well.

There you go!! Problem solved...you are officially on your way to GREAT ribs!!

Good Luck!

Be sure to let us know if this helps!

Stogie

Thanks Jim and Kevin!

I did not cook the ribs longer because I thought the ribs would be overdone resulting in meat that would be dried out. I will cook the next rib slab until the toothpick thing works as Jim described.

Jim, when you trim the ribs, do you just trim off the hard fibrous fat or do you trim along the long edge similiar to a St. Louis cut? Or both?

I will use a minimal dusting of rub the next time.

I will try a lower temp like Kevin. I will try for a temp around 225 to 235. When trying to keep an average of 260 I would sometimes spike up to 270 or so which probably contributed to the ribs looking done but in reality the surface meat was done but the meat between the bones had not benefited from rendered fat.

How about mopping? I was mopping to keep the rib meat from drying out. I was thinking that I had not mopped enough hence the tough meat. Since I wasn't cooking the ribs long enough then maybe mopping isn't necessary. Or possibly just an occasional spray of apple juice?

Thanks again and take care you all.

Brian

PS. Jim, do you use flat or round toothpicks?? j/k
smile.gif

Brian
I St Louis Cut and don't remove much fat. I use round toothpicks but either would work. Spray with apple juice is not a bad idea. If they are getting darker in color than you like late in the cook, you can place them in brown paperbag till the very end when you glaze. I normally cook 225 to 265?, where ever the pit wants to be, anywhere in that range works well.
Cooked at those temps without removing to much fat during prep the ribs should be moist and tender. Times are always just estimates when comes to Q. Spares 5 to as many as 8 hours depending when the ribs want to give up.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back