iGrill wireless thermometer + iPhone app

Hello
just a minute please

Hey Chris, your roast is calling!

Looks neat, guess time will tell about its accuracy and durability.

I guess the biggest problem could be the distance limitations of Bluetooth. You've only got about 33 feet of coverage.

looks like a very cool toy. I just got one of my boys a itouch for the holidays. Maybe dad can use it with this gadget.

My problem is the price. The unit cost 99 and the probes are 20. Which means to me that your getting an expensive computer gadget with a cheap probe. I'd hate to spend the clams then have to worry about burning up the wire or shorting the probe. Thermoworks probes cost closer to 50.

I'd consider it if it worked with thermocouples and could handle more inputs that 2. A log feature seems appropriate too, which I don't see mention.

I've burned through two remotes so far; both ended up giving me bad readings (off by 10-15 degrees). Fortunately, they were pretty cheap. I'm also wary of blowing a lot of money on one of these dealies.

They say the range is 200 ft. Maybe, but with with wireless digitals available for $50 I'll wait till the price comes down. $19.99 for a probe? No way.

I want one! However, I also have a slight apple addiction....apple and WSM are my vices.I've got a couple mavericks and both have about 15 feet of range...not good. I wonder if the mavericks probes are interchangeable with igrill? Also, I wonder if there is a low temp warning? They are popular, they have already sold out. No new shipments until after new year!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is a review on Gizmodo of the device... http://gizmodo.com/5722090/thi...in-my-century-igrill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the comments, check out the video of the "stone smoker," its unreal. I can't imagine how much that guy sunk into that thing and all he needed to do was buy a wsm.

I picked up an iGrill (came with 2 meat probes) on Black Friday for $90 + tax. Once I got it home, I read the instructions (located in the free app, then paired it with my iPhone. I also took a moment to check it's accuracy in boiling water, and found it to be within a few degrees of my candy/frying thermometer.

I had planned to cook a Boston butt over a turkey in my 18.5" WSM, so I ran the probes/wires to try out the iGrill, with a probe for each meat. I also ran my 2 Maverick ET-72s, to compare performance. 

I found the iGrill app is a better choice for me, over the iGrill Classic app, as it's dark background makes for better visibility during quick  views. It also takes up much less memory, as the Classic app is 20+ MB. 

I was impressed with it's range, as I carried my iPhone all over the house, and into the front yard (about 45 feet away). I really like the graph feature, that allows you to track temperatures over the duration ofthe cook. I've yet to try the data export feature. 

My only real problem was an app crash, buy I chalk that up to having another memory-hungry music streaming app running at the same time. 

I'm interested to see how the "ambient temperature," or pit, probe works. I'll likely order one in the next month or so.

Back