View Full Version : Rub Storage Containers - What do you use?

Kevin Mahler
08-16-2008, 07:19 PM
I am looking for some large "tupperware" like containers for my rubs. I have seen some at a BBQ contest that I liked but I can't find them anywhere on the web. Part of my problem is I don't even know what to call them to do a decent google search.

I want something that will hold over a pound of mixed rub. It would be nice if they had shaker tops.

So what do you use and where did you purchase them?

I have searched Walmart, Target and some speciality shops without any luck.


Jim Minion
08-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Try these, lids snap in place. I have a few large unit will hold about 25 pounds.



David Presley
08-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Here's how I save my rubs and keep them fresh. I don't use a shaker top so I can't help there. (http://www.jardenstore.com/product.aspx?bid=18&pid=2496&cid=193)

Rita Y
08-16-2008, 08:01 PM
I see David posted as I was composing this. Mine just carries his suggestion a bit further and he might enjoy trying it too.

David, a close coincidence: one of our very best friends is David Pressly, in Knoxville, TN.

Kevin, here is an innovative solution for you for your rub storage. I’ve tried this with several different sizes of Mason jars and it does work well if you like the system. If possible, I prefer to store spices and rubs (at least my backup stock) in glass jars and seal them airtight for longer life. This is for a FoodSaver that seals jars, but you don’t have to seal the jars if you plan to use the rubs fairly quickly.

The explanation is lengthy….the process is not.

I drilled “shaker holes” in several canning flat lids at one time. Flat lids are the disks with the rubber coating on the underside outside edges.

I use a push pin to poke one hole in a separate flat canning lid.

Then, I make a tab about 1 inch long from a piece of electrical tape and fold one end under about 1/4 inch. I stick the tab over the single small hole in the lid. This makes it easy to release the vacuum in the jar by lifting the tab, and to reseal the lid without having to resort to (and denting the lid) a knife or spoon handle to release the vacuum.

Mason (Ball) jars come in 4-, 8-, 12- 16-, 32- and 64-ounce sizes. The 32-ounce size will hold about 4 cups rub and the 64-ounce size will hold about 8 cups. For vacuuming, the 3 larger sizes hold a good seal the most consistently.

I fill the jar with rub and top it with the flat lid that has only the one small hole.

Be sure that the hole is covered with the electrical tape tab.

Using the large jar lid accessory, vacuum the jar as directed by FoodSaver. The lid should snap downward, remain indented, and tightly sealed to the jar opening. I always check my sealed jars a day or two later to make sure there was no tiny air leak.

Then I top the sealed lid with the lid in which I’ve drilled the shaker holes and secure both of them with the ring band part of the lid.

When it comes time to use the jar as a shaker, unscrew the ring, remove the lid with the shaker holes, and lift the electrical tape tab to allow air in and unseal the jar. Remove the lid and place the shaker lid on the jar, screw the band back on, and you have a shaker jar.


P.S. You might also try http://www.containerstore.com, They have lots of storage options.

08-17-2008, 01:49 AM
To bounce off what Rita said: I do something very similar only that I "store" the rub with SOLID lid disks and then I refit a drilled top for shaking.

That said, for really huge quantities, you may want to seek out the bags used to store coffee, these hold 2 lb. of beans and have a one-way valve (like a bellybutton, sorta) from where they could be vac'ed. For that I don't use the Food Saver, but rather a Vac-U-Vin hand pump.

There are two kinds of these bags, ones with a zipper closure and others that must be heat-sealed. The former are less of a hassle and reusable, the latter are a more secure seal.

j biesinger
08-17-2008, 04:00 AM
I liked the drilled disk idea, but has anyone seen a shaker lid that fits onto a mason jar? I saw someone use one at a comp and I haven't been able to figure out what it was. I recall it being red plastic with a metal screen. I didn't seem homemade...thats why I ask.

mason jars work well. I've scaled my recipes to batch sizes that fit in each size jar and I know approximately how much meat a jar will cover.

I had some fancy plastic containers with clamps tabs on the lid and a rubber seal, and my spices still oxidized over time. For long term storage plastic is not the way to go.

Larry D.
08-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by j biesinger:
I liked the drilled disk idea, but has anyone seen a shaker lid that fits onto a mason jar? I saw someone use one at a comp and I haven't been able to figure out what it was. I recall it being red plastic with a metal screen. I didn't seem homemade...thats why I ask.

A little poking around with Google: I think what you saw is a gadget designed to let you grow sprouts (bean, alfalfa, etc.) in a Mason jar. Check this link (http://www.sproutpeople.com/devices/jar/jar.html) and see if it's what you are looking for. They come with stainless steel screen, and either metal or plastic screw rings. The coarse mesh looks like it would work.

Mike Willis
08-17-2008, 06:01 AM
I have saved several of the large shaker/ spoon containers that granulated garlic and minced onion come in. You can find them at Costco and Sam's Club - the brand names vary (Tone's, McCormick's) but the containers are the same. The minced onion one has large holes on one side of the lid, and a spoon access on the other side. The granulated garlic (or onion) one has smaller holes, which might be better for a rub. The granulated garlic says it's 26 oz, and the minced onion is 15 oz, so the size should be about what you're looking for.

j biesinger
08-17-2008, 06:36 AM
I think what you saw is a gadget designed to let you grow sprouts (bean, alfalfa, etc.) in a Mason jar.

might have been, thanks for the tip. weird, I never would have found those.

It reminded me that I was going to fabricate something like this myself (screen disc), but it might be easier to just order them then trying to find stainless mesh.

I actually like using a spoon these days but I'm always looking to improve/simplify my methods.

08-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Hold the presses.

I just got at Williams-Sonoma (on clearance!) a "Coffee Bean Vac" that will hold 1lb of (presumably) coffee. The website for the company is www.beanvac.com (http://www.beanvac.com)

(I can't find it at the W-S site, but if you call or stop by a store, you may be able to score.)

You put in your coffee (or whatever) and seal the lid with a fliplock closure. The internal pump then pumps out all of the air and an indicator button shows the vacuum still holding. Every 12 hours the pump kicks in again -- coffee beans sometimes release gas that needs to vent -- and it keeps everything nice and fresh.

This was on sale for $19 (down from $42).

I am going to use this for rub storage. That said, I don't think that really long-term storage of rubs is the wisest course of action. I normally make mine in 24 oz. batches.

08-18-2008, 05:16 AM

I checked at "my local" W-S store (at The Falls in Miami) and they still have THREE of the Coffee Bean Vac units @ $18.99.

Have tested it and it holds 1.25lb of rub and the internal electric (4AA batteries) vacuum pump does, indeed, adjust itself continuously.

These units may also be available (for less?) at other vendors (Amazon?) and so far I'm thinking it may be an excellent way to stash a pound or so of rub.