My 2nd cook - pork butt

Paul Mc

My 2nd cook will be a pork butt. I plan to use water and the Minion Method. and make pulled pork.

I have a couple questions:

1. I have 1 8lb butt straight out of the cryovak from the local butcher. Does the 1 1/2 - 2 hour per pound cook time still apply? Since I'm only cooking 8lbs of meat, should I start this in the morning or do you think I should start it at night? I am afraid it might cook for only 8-9 hours, or could go to 10-12. I know I should just pull it went I get around 190 degrees.

2. How many chunks of appl and/or cherry should I use - 3-4 fist-sized chunks? Maybe 6? Is there such a thing as too much with apple/cherry wood?

3. After I pull the butt from the WSM, I should cover in tinfoil (wrap in a towel) and put it in a cooler for at least 30 minutes right?

Thanks! I plan to post pics and details.

1) Still applies. What temp. are you planning on cooking at? In terms of when to start what time are you planning on serving? Remember you can hold a butt in a cooler for several hours so finishing early isn't necessary a bad thing.

Regarding pulling "around 190" Use temp as a guide to start checking if she's done, not as an absolute stop point. I've had butts finish at 190 and 205, each one is different. As they say, "they're done when they're done."

2) I'd go 6. Butts can take a lot of smoke and apple woods pretty light.

3) I think this is personal preference, I've seen some guys let it rest on the counter for a few minutes then pull. I personally put in a cooler for a minimum of 1 hour. I've held them as long as 5 hours with excellent results. If you're going for a long hold in a cooler line the cooler w/towels too.

Enjoy your cook.

Paul,
Larry's the man. He was there to hold my hand the first time I did a Butt.
With the resting part. I wrap mine in foil and leave it right on the counter for an hour or so then pulled. They have bin coming out great! One thing I like to know is the cooler thing. WHY?
icon_confused.gif
The ones I smoked
wsmsmile8gm.gif
have all came out moist and great. What benefit is there to put in cooler? By the way I am cooking 3 8+lbs. tomorrow morning for a 4th party. The weather he has bin bad. Raining for about 21 day straight. It looks good tomorrow so I am going for it. On the 4th I have 4 racks of ribs to cook. Having about 25-30 people. First time cooking for that many. But no pressure or anything.
icon_wink.gif
Paul Good Luck and have a lot of fun smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif
Get some pic together for us to see!
Keep on Smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back