Why don't I Like My Chicken?

John-Peterson

TVWBB Fan
So, I've made boneless, skinless chicken breasts a lot of times on the grill. Everytime I've done them, there is no flavor. I've tried rubs, seasonings, and marinades. I can never seem to get any flavor "in to" the meat. It's always blah bland chicken. What am I doing wrong? The most recent cook, I rubbed the chicken about 8 hours before it went on. I had flavor on the outside, obviously, but the bland inside overwhelmed the rubbed outside. The chicken was juicy and not over cooked so that's not it.

What do you guys do? Is that just how chicken is? I did try brining once but that was for bone in chicken so a little different.

Try the brining again and make sure you don't over cook. I've taken to using a thermometer to check the temp of my boneless/skinless to make sure I get the chicken to 160 and not a degree more when I pull it.

Also, think about marinating the chicken breasts in Mojo Criollo marinade. I love that stuff. The combination of citrus juice, spices and the little bit of oil in the marinade do wonders for boneless skinless chicken.

In the end, boneless skinless chicken breasts don't actually have a lot of flavor - but they do a pretty good job of being a canvass for the flavors you put in and on them.

Pat

Unless you are locked into white meat, try thighs. See if you don't like them more than the b/s breasts.

One thing I do is pound the breast thinner and even thickness before brining or marinating. I also make slits in the meat. At least there is more surface area for the flavor and I think it gets more flavor into the meat.

You can get pretty tastey boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs on your Weber grill...we do it frequently
icon_smile.gif
Prep the chicken with a little Kikkoman Lite Soy sauce (green labeled bottle only; others are too strong) season lightly with fresh ground salt & pepper, celery salt and garlic powder. The key is cooking "direct" on coals that are well past their peak heat, using your favorite smoke wood, ...with the lid on & vent open...get the smoke started before you grill the meat
icon_wink.gif
...the cook is done in this fashion so that the chicken remains tender & will have a residual smokey flavor...also it doesn't take very long at all so do not overcook
icon_razz.gif
icon_wink.gif

Have you tried the roadside chicken from the poultry recipes section? It works on all chicken. Like Pat mentioned try brining.

Chicken breasts have little flavor by themselves. Their lack of fat (flavor) makes them very popular for dieters. When you opt for skinless and boneless you get even less flavor. Marinades and rubs only season the outside of meat. A flavor brine can add some flavor to meat. I'd opt for nice finishing sauce after cooking. Otherwise, I'm with Dave; go with thighs; skin on and bone in.

Paul

Back