Using Non-Stick Cooking Spray for Grilling & Barbecuing

For years I used Canola spray on my grill. But once I got Grill Grates on my gas grill, I found that they get so hot that the Canola spray burns and smells fishy. Very off-putting.

Now I keep a squirt bottle of grapeseed oil, and I apply it to the cool Grill Grates with a paper towel before preheating. It has a high smoke point and is neutral in flavor. If I'm using the flat sides of the Grill Grates to do a stir-fry type cook, I may rub more grapeseed oil on after heating. It builds a seasoned surface over time, so I have no issues with sticking.

I've also started applying the grapeseed oil to my regular grate on my Weber kettle. No trouble to rub on with tongs and paper towel.

The Misto sprayers arrived. They work as advertised but there’s a reason they come two in a pack. they are kind if flimsy feeling. The last pump sprayer I had was a beast while these are the beasts gentle offspring. That said, they work.

I originally had a mister type sprayer but “pumping” it up was a pain so I replaced it with an EVO trigger spray bottle. Like it a lot better. I will admit it is a bit tricky to use though.
1661697919513.jpeg

Has anybody else noticed that pre-made spray oils seem to work much better than home-made spray oils? I believe it is the Lecithin almost all store bough spray oils have.

I found this and thought it makes sense: Lecithin attracts both water and fatty substances (and so are both hydrophilic and lipophilic), and are used for smoothing food textures, emulsifying, homogenizing liquid mixtures, and repelling sticking materials.

I was just searching and found this liquid lecithin and was thinking of adding it to my misto to see if it works better. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CK9YK28/?tag=tvwb-20
1665333216298.png

Has anybody else noticed that pre-made spray oils seem to work much better than home-made spray oils? I believe it is the Lecithin almost all store bough spray oils have.

I found this and thought it makes sense: Lecithin attracts both water and fatty substances (and so are both hydrophilic and lipophilic), and are used for smoothing food textures, emulsifying, homogenizing liquid mixtures, and repelling sticking materials.

I was just searching and found this liquid lecithin and was thinking of adding it to my misto to see if it works better. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CK9YK28/?tag=tvwb-20
View attachment 60841
Whoa....that is interesting! I have used PAM spray on and off, but not as much lately. I'm sort of a pyro, (got it honestly from my Dad) so at one point I didn't mind the flare ups when applying to a hot grill. Lately, I'm a bit more safety conscience so I don't spray it on my grates anymore. I tried the pump it up style spray bottles and found them to be inconvenient/no fun.

I originally had a mister type sprayer but “pumping” it up was a pain so I replaced it with an EVO trigger spray bottle. Like it a lot better. I will admit it is a bit tricky to use though.
View attachment 58341
Mark - I might be interested in trying this product - can you shed a little more light on that learning curve? Are there certain types of oil that don't work with these bottles? I think I would lean towards Avocado oil for use with these bottles....

Mark - I might be interested in trying this product - can you shed a little more light on that learning curve? Are there certain types of oil that don't work with these bottles? I think I would lean towards Avocado oil for use with these bottles....
John

I have 2. One with Avacado and one for spritzing. No known restriction on oil types. Have also used olive and canola oil with no issues. I get the Costco Avacado oil and now use that exclusively.

‘The learning curve is due to the trigger. How close and how hard you press the trigger make a bid difference in the amount of oil sprayed. It did not take real long to figure it out…. but the first time I sprayed it, I was glad the bread pan was in the sink…. Hehe

‘Hope this helps….

Get the 2 pack at Costco. (y)
View attachment 60850
Pam Ingredients: CANOLA OIL, MODIFIED PALM OIL, COCONUT OIL, SOY LECITHIN, ROSEMARY EXTRACT, DIMETHYLPOLYSILOXANE, PROPELLANT (ISOBUTANE AND PROPANE).

Canola oil is rapeseed oil and is GMO also heavily sprayed with pesticides;

Palm oil has been and continues to be a major driver of deforestation of some of the world’s most biodiverse forests, destroying the habitat of already endangered species like the Orangutan, pygmy elephant and Sumatran rhino. This forest loss coupled with conversion of carbon rich peat soils are throwing out millions of tonnes of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and contributing to climate change. There also remains some exploitation of workers and child labour.

SOY LECITHIN Soy is GMO

Dimethylpolysiloxane, also known as polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), is a form of silicone used as an antifoaming agent in food with the European food additive number E900. Just does not sound good;-)

Pam Ingredients: CANOLA OIL, MODIFIED PALM OIL, COCONUT OIL, SOY LECITHIN, ROSEMARY EXTRACT, DIMETHYLPOLYSILOXANE, PROPELLANT (ISOBUTANE AND PROPANE).

Palm oil has been and continues to be a major driver of deforestation of some of the world’s most biodiverse forests, destroying the habitat of already endangered species like the Orangutan, pygmy elephant and Sumatran rhino. This forest loss coupled with conversion of carbon rich peat soils are throwing out millions of tonnes of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and contributing to climate change. There also remains some exploitation of workers and child labour.

SOY LECITHIN Soy is GMO

Dimethylpolysiloxane, also known as polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), is a form of silicone used as an antifoaming agent in food with the European food additive number E900. Just does not sound good;-)
Been using this stuff forever, spray down the grates after brushing all the loose stuff off. ;)

I quit using spay oils due to the lecithin ingredient. This, over time will build up and can be real hard to clean off. Besides, using the sprayer… 1 ingredient … Avacado oil.

SOY LECITHIN Soy is GMO

See my first response in this thread. None of these spray oils are “healthy.” But, 100% of all humans die eventually. Choose your poison and pain wisely.

Pass me a tequila, please.

Personally, I oil my goods with cooing olive oil. And or avocado oil. I don’t understand the benefits of these sprays and why people use them. But I’m. Ot the brightest bulb in the box so I’ll try to learn something here.

Last edited:
See my first response in this thread. None of these spray oils are “healthy.” But, 100% of all humans did, eventually. Choose your poison and pain wisely.

Pass me a tequila, please.

Personally, I oil my goods with cooing olive oil. And or avocado oil. I don’t understand the benefits of these sprays and why people use them. But I’m. Ot the brightest bulb in the box so I’ll try to learn something here.
The Costco spray avocado oil has zero chemicals added.
It’s great stuff.
One ingredient avacado oil.

For breakfast most days I make an egg and half a chicken sausage for my wife and I in a carbon steel fry pan. The pan is well seasoned but of course still needs a little "lube". I have gone through all the oils, sprays, tallow, bacon fat, etc, testing. Some sprays build up and get gummy, some work better than others. For some reason bacon fat wins hands down for this pan. Just a tiny bit and eggs don't stick. I have a large jar of tallow and it does not work nearly as well. Butter works good but needs to be wiped out or turns brown. I love the taste of coconut oil but does not lube as well. I need to try clarified butter Gee. I have some but have not cracked it open yet.

1665491993290.png

Clarified butter / ghee will work well. Because there no milk solids, it won’t brown but will be an excellent choice. It’s my goto for eggs and pan fish. No stick, excellent flavor and zero residue.

Last edited:

Back