Using Non-Stick Cooking Spray for Grilling & Barbecuing

Has anybody else noticed that pre-made spray oils seem to work much better than home-made spray oils? I believe it is the Lecithin almost all store bough spray oils have.

I found this and thought it makes sense: Lecithin attracts both water and fatty substances (and so are both hydrophilic and lipophilic), and are used for smoothing food textures, emulsifying, homogenizing liquid mixtures, and repelling sticking materials.

I was just searching and found this liquid lecithin and was thinking of adding it to my misto to see if it works better. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CK9YK28/?tag=tvwb-20
View attachment 60841
I bought this lecithin to try mixing with some oils to see if it helps lubricity. It has been sitting for about a year and got hard but decided to finally try it with some coconut oil on my fry carbon steel pan with eggs. I tried it twice so far, only using a touch of lecithin and just melting them together in the pan before adding eggs and it is a dramatic improvement. It worked great. I mean I could have been using bacon fat (best lube I have found) as the eggs had no sticking what so ever and that never happens with coconut oil alone. I will be doing some more testing but so far I am impressed with what adding a tiny amount of this stuff does.
1701352092838.png

Never used anything in my CI except olive oil or avocado and or grapeseed oils. I tried the coconut thing once. I threw it all away. everything picked up that flavor and it really bothered me.

Never used anything in my CI except olive oil or avocado and or grapeseed oils. I tried the coconut thing once. I threw it all away. everything picked up that flavor and it really bothered me.
We love coconuts and the taste of coconut oil. While it is not an oil applicable for all applications we do like it for frying eggs. Our cast iron holds seasoning and non-stick better than our carbon steel. We use the carbon steel a lot more because it heats so much faster and breakfast takes half the time. As such it is the perfect place to test oils and such. When we were living in a boat and sailing the Bahamas I had a machete and we would pick coconuts all the time, drinking the water and eating the meat.

Has anybody else noticed that pre-made spray oils seem to work much better than home-made spray oils? I believe it is the Lecithin almost all store bough spray oils have.

I found this and thought it makes sense: Lecithin attracts both water and fatty substances (and so are both hydrophilic and lipophilic), and are used for smoothing food textures, emulsifying, homogenizing liquid mixtures, and repelling sticking materials.

I was just searching and found this liquid lecithin and was thinking of adding it to my misto to see if it works better. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CK9YK28/?tag=tvwb-20
View attachment 60841
Don’t use it on nonstick! It will turn gummy and will be hard to remove. It will void nonstick warranty.

We love coconuts and the taste of coconut oil. While it is not an oil applicable for all applications we do like it for frying eggs. Our cast iron holds seasoning and non-stick better than our carbon steel. We use the carbon steel a lot more because it heats so much faster and breakfast takes half the time. As such it is the perfect place to test oils and such. When we were living in a boat and sailing the Bahamas I had a machete and we would pick coconuts all the time, drinking the water and eating the meat.
Maybe if I actually "liked" them it would be different. I don't detest them. But, unless the taste of them is needed I don't want anything to do with them :D

Don’t use it on nonstick! It will turn gummy and will be hard to remove. It will void nonstick warranty.
John, We rarely use our Woll diamond non-stick pan since getting carbon steel and cast iron but have never seen anything on the warranty saying that. I had our Woll pan replaced twice so far (life time warranty).

John, We rarely use our Woll diamond non-stick pan since getting carbon steel and cast iron but have never seen anything on the warranty saying that. I had our Woll pan replaced twice so far (life time warranty).
Look up cooking spray removal from cookware. I ruined my favorite nonstick multipurpose pan from easy to clean to now it’s regular scrub to clean. Not all nonstick specifically states warranty will be void but some do. Just a warning from a sad experience. I used to use it on my bbq grills because it seemed to enhance the seasoning.

Look up cooking spray removal from cookware. I ruined my favorite nonstick multipurpose pan from easy to clean to now it’s regular scrub to clean. Not all nonstick specifically states warranty will be void but some do. Just a warning from a sad experience. I used to use it on my bbq grills because it seemed to enhance the seasoning.
In my experience there really is no great non-stick cookware as they all wind up in the trash eventually. We rarely use cooking sprays in any event. I will keep testing on my CS pan as I can always scrub it down and re-season, but as it goes now a tiny bit of lecithin really helps lubricity of oil cooking my eggs. If you wind up with needing another non-stick you may want to check out Woll brand as their warranty is quite good and they seem to last a bit longer than most.

In my experience there really is no great non-stick cookware as they all wind up in the trash eventually. We rarely use cooking sprays in any event. I will keep testing on my CS pan as I can always scrub it down and re-season, but as it goes now a tiny bit of lecithin really helps lubricity of oil cooking my eggs. If you wind up with needing another non-stick you may want to check out Woll brand as their warranty is quite good and they seem to last a bit longer than most.

Believe it our not, I've got a pair of Emeril sauté pans. One is 9" the other 11". I've them both for something like 15 years. Both still maintain their non-stick, and I cook in one or the other one at least 5 times a week.

I gave my daughter all of my CI but have kept my CS pans. Can't wait for you posts about how you're CS pans are performaing.

BD

I wanted to update this thread on my lecithin findings. This stuff seems to be the answer to a great non-stick results on fry pans, no wonder it is in almost all non-stick sprays. I have seen no build up or bad effects as I do not even have to wash my fry pans, as I just give them a wipe with a paper towel every now and again. I had stopped using our nice 304 Stainless Salad Master fry pan years ago because without a generous amount of Pam eggs would always stick. No other lubes worked. Not butter, oils, fats, etc came close to non-stick on this fry pan. Now some degree of that falt was mine, as I did not heat it until water danced, then the oil as I have since learned from YouTube;-). I have been using my Lodge high carbon steel almost exclusively for ages to cook our over easy eggs every morning. Now that I have been using a drop of the lecithin with what ever fat I want, coconut, tallow, lard, butter, etc I just wipe the pan when done and leave it on the stove.
Over the last few days I have dug out my stainless pan and fried eggs, heating the pan until water dances and using fats with and without lecithin added. The lecithin makes a huge difference. Eggs slide around and I can flip them without worrying about them breaking. In the picture below both pans have been used multiple times to cook eggs and some turkey sausage and just wiped with a paper towel.
1708613570605.png

Have tried a lot of different oils/fats for stainless and have found fault with all of them, the only hack is white vinegar evaporated on med heat, let cool wash gently, it lasts for a decent amount of time. not fool proof but definitely helps

Have tried a lot of different oils/fats for stainless and have found fault with all of them, the only hack is white vinegar evaporated on med heat, let cool wash gently, it lasts for a decent amount of time. not fool proof but definitely helps
We have had this set of Salad Master cookware for almost 35 years. Still looks almost new and the reason we will probably never have a induction stove. Almost always had issues with fry pan sticking. That is the reason we have 3 other fry pans, a Woll diamond coated non-stick, cast iron, and high carbon steel. Now heat up the stainless pan until water dances, add any oil with a tiny amount of lecithin and no more sticking.

Back