Unknown BBQ WSM Hinge

If you guys are interested there is a contest to win a hinge of choice on The Barn Goddess blogtalk radio show tomorrow night.There is info to enter on her facebook page and also info on the Fans of the Weber Smokey Mountain Facebook page.

JW,

These things look slick. Just placed a order for 2! Any advice on finding the center line if I want the hinge directly behid the door? I'm guessing I can measure from door edge to door egde (around the back side of the center section), then mark mid-way?

Any installation advice from the pro's?

Thanks.

All you need is some painter's tape, a drill, 1/8th" bit, step drill bit, phillips, and a wrench. It's a piece of cake.

There's nothing to it. I just eyeballed it and used the painter's tape to hold in position to drill the centers. By far it's the coolest mod I've done.

JW,

These things look slick. Just placed a order for 2! Any advice on finding the center line if I want the hinge directly behid the door? I'm guessing I can measure from door edge to door egde (around the back side of the center section), then mark mid-way?

Thanks.
Yeah Tony, you can measure from the door or bolts to find center. It's pretty simple like Dave said. Thanks for the order and enjoy!

Hi everyone,

I know this is a useful thread for some members, but please remember that because JW is affiliated with the Unknown BBQ WSM Hinge, he is not allowed to post messages about the product, answer questions about the product, help troubleshoot the product, offer installation advice about the product, ask how many TVWBB members have purchased the product, etc. These are activities that he needs to do on his own website and at his own expense.

Our discussion here should be limited to TVWBB members offering other members their first-hand experience, opinions, advice, and support about this product.

Thanks,
Chris

Hinge installed last night, man are these things are awesome. Install was pretty straight forward. Hardware is TOP NOTCH! Turns out there was/is a seam line along the back of my mid-section to line the hinge right up.

Got mine installed earlier this week... It is indeed an awesome addition, was so nice cooking yesterday and not having to deal with the lid.

JW,

Thanks.

The center of the "back" (opposite the handle on the side of the lid) is directly below the vent, at least on a 22". It's really easy to eyeball, or you could drop a plumb line if you wanted to get really picky about it.

When I did mine I made sure the lid handle was centered above the door lever (which is in the center of the door) and the hinge was centered below the vent (which was then in the center of the back of the smoker). Eyeballed it all and it turned out just fine.

JW,

Thanks.
Apply some blue painter's tape to the areas where the hinge will install.
Don't be stingy...cover the areas well.
For the lid, use the lower handle straps for a reference point.
For the barrel, use the center of the door latch for a reference point.

You probably only need to do one layout and the assembled hinge will point to where it needs to be.
Or do both.

Take a cloth tape from your wife's sewing kit (our Man Tapes don't go around curves very well) and dial in center.
You don't have to hit the exact center with your pulls....just go past it a bit.
Do the same thing from the other side.

Now, find the center of those two marks....that's your hinge center.
If you've never done layout, this may seem complicated at first glance but it is actually a simple and precise process after you think it through.

Could someone who's installed this hinge do me a favor? On a 22.5 WSM, measure how far past the barrel the open lid extends? I'm just curious how far from obstruction on the side or back i would need to be.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Got mine and looking to install this weekend. Any video or images of doing the install?

Installed it Sunday morning and then got to cooking. Works great. That porcelain isn't easy to drill through, but once you do, the rest of the install is easy.

Back