Unknown BBQ WSM Hinge

I'll check it out when the hinge gets here. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

About the heavier legs. My guess is that the added weight of the legs is for windy conditions more than the lid hinge per se. I've heard of WSMs blowing over in extreme wind. I can protect mine but some the guys using them at comps may not be able to.

Hi Gary, to answer your question the legs were added to raise the cooker up to be more user friendly. They do add a little more stability to the cooker with a bigger foot print but the hinge has also been installed on a wsm without the extensions and performed the same. As far a wind good judgement is key. Not many people cook in hurricanes or tornadoes except us crazy people who don't want to miss turn in times at a contest. lol I've seen my fair share of cookers and equipment take the tumble of death right through the middle of a contest. I guess what I'm trying to say is the wsm is built light for a reason (Portability, Cost, etc.) downside is they are vulnerable to high winds due to weight. They are still one of the best on the market though. Also the 2 sections of hinge pivot on a 1/4-20 bolt that can be taken apart to transport in 3 seperate section. And yes a quick release pin would work just fine. On another note your order shipped and I'm eager to hear your feedback good or bad. Thanks again, Jason

J,
I received my hinge today and it looks good and sturdy. A little surprised that it got here so quickly. If this weather cold continues it'll be a while before I get around to installing. The directions look simple enough and I do have the preferred unibit for drilling. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks, Gary

J,
I ordered one of your hinges and installed it yesterday morning and made ribs for a Superbowl party. The hinge works great and is very nice quality.

Love I don't have to find a spot for the lid now.

I have the hinge installed on both an 18-1/2" WSM and a 22-1/2" WSM. Both went without any baby momma drama. I did have to loosen the top flange on the 18-1/2" and make a minor adjustment to relieve some binding, but it was all good. I have no regrets about putting it on either one.

Lifting the 22-1/2" lid is a one-handed operation, but lowering it is a two-handed deal. You could say that about replacement of the 22-1/2" lid without the hinge.

Pics of the 18-1/2" installed

IMAGE_207.jpg

IMAGE_206.jpg

IMAGE_161.jpg

Pics of the 22-1/2" installed

IMAGE_200.jpg

IMAGE_201.jpg

IMAGE_202.jpg

Last edited:
Check out the Fan of the Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker Facebook page. There is a drawing for 3 free hinge kits to be installed on the 22.5 wsm for feedback. Entry ends 7pm my time. 6 1/2 hours from now.

Do you guys have any questions about the hinge for the 22" that you'd like me to look into while I'm reviewing the one J is sending?

And thank you so much J!

I got this hinge a couple weeks ago and finally (thanks to nonstop snow) was able to cook something on the WSM yesterday. The hinge works great. Got it 2-3 days after ordering. Easy installation. Well made. Very happy with it. Thanks J Whitcomb!

Do you guys have any questions about the hinge for the 22" that you'd like me to look into while I'm reviewing the one J is sending?

And thank you so much J!

Congrats on the draw. My cooker sits next to the rail of the Big Deck. How far out will I have to move the cooker if I were to install the hinge Dave?

Thanks for the feedback Evan and glad you like it. I also have some quick release pins on order and I will offer them as an upgrade. This will make cleaning and transport a breeze if you need to break it down often.

Congrats on the draw. My cooker sits next to the rail of the Big Deck. How far out will I have to move the cooker if I were to install the hinge Dave?

Why not just put it on the side rather than the back of the cooker? i would think that would alleviate having to move it out further on the deck.

Yep Noe. 6'2" and 290lbs of twisted steel and bbq appeal. LOL. My dad made some extensions 3-4 years ago out of some old broom handles. When I saw it all I could picture was a leg breaking and sending the cooker into a heap of scrap metal. So I made him and myself some from aluminum.

Depends how high the rail is. The hinge sticks out maybe 6" from the smoker, about where the center section meets the lid. When the lid is up, it's more than that because the lid goes backward. But most importantly, while you can *open* the lid easily one-handed, you can't *close* it easily one-handed. You should really have a hand on each handle (the top and the front). You have to lift the lid up before closing it to unlock the hinge, which takes a bit more control than I can easily do one-handed.

I mounted mine on the back (opposite the door) and I really like it in that configuration. It's easy to lift part-way and just hold it with your hand to check on meats, or you can open it all the way and lock it in place. It's stable with the lid up, but you wouldn't want to leave it like that unattended. If a big gust of wind came straight into the lid, it would probably blow the center section off your smoker.

Also I would recommend getting a removable pin for the hinge. With the lid permanently attached, it's pretty heavy to pick up the lid and center section to build a fire.

Dave, Thanks for the feedback. I have had a lot of people request the quick release pins so I will have those here today or tomorrow. Instead of having the 1/4" (stop) rod welded in I have changed it to a bolt as well. This way the user can adjust the side to side play more to there liking. How long did it take you to install?

I think my total install time was 20-30 minutes, did it solo with a cordless drill. It would have gone a little faster with a step drill bit, but I didn't have one handy so my drilling process was using the full-size bit to start making a little divot in the metal, then drilling a pilot hole, then going back with the full size bit. By far the biggest thing that took time was actually drilling the holes. Everything else was a piece of cake.

How many people here on TVWB have ordered and installed these on there smokers? I know I've shipped about 25 units up into the snow covered areas of this beautiful country. Not sure how many of those have found out about them from this thread. I'm eager to hear the pros and cons from the hardcore WSM group. Thanks JW

Back