Shredded Barbecued Beef Disaster

Ian R

My first attempt at cooking shredded barbeque beef was a disaster.
I started with a 3 1/2 pound piece of beef. A dry rub was applied and the meat left in the refrigerator overnight.
For the first 4 hours the 14.5" WSM ran at 225 to 250 'F. At the 4 hour mark I added about 1 cup of stock to the aluminium container holding the meat..
After another 4 hours at the same temperature the meat was rock hard. The only way to shred it would have been with an axe !
The shredded beef became thinly sliced cold meat after being relegated to the refrigerator for a few hours. The taste was great but it was not the outcome which I had expected.
Any suggestions ?
This week I want to experiment smoking a small 3 pound piece of brisket. How long would I have to leave it at 225 'F before it would be suitably tender ?
I would welcome any advice.
Thanks.

What cut of beef was it? Did you check it for tenderness along the way?

Your brisket sounds like it might be just a flat. You'd probably get better results with a "full" (packer) brisket. You may end up dissappointed with the flat.

The cut of beef was Topside. I didn't check it that often as I did not want to take the lid off the WSM too frequently.
It is extremely difficult to get a full brisket here so I have bought some of the flat.

Ian - topside is too lean to make pulled beef. Better cooked to medium/medium rare.
You need a fatty cut to pull properly

Yeah, I agree. You need something "fatty". Many use a chuck roast. Do a search for the pepper stout beef recipe here on the forum.

Can't help with where to find a full brisket. Here in the states, we can get them at Wal Mart, so they are very common here.

For us canucks, "topside" is taken from the round. Super lean, its used IMO for making jerky or deli style beef. When smoked to an internal of around 135o or a bit less, you want it rare (2-3 hours depending on size) and sliced super thin (using a deli slicer), makes fantastic deli sandwiches.

. But, as u found out, makes great (albeit well done) sandwiches.

Chuck roast (as suggested) is perfect for your goal.

Last edited:
My first attempt at cooking shredded barbeque beef was a disaster.

The shredded beef became thinly sliced cold meat after being relegated to the refrigerator for a few hours. The taste was great but it was not the outcome which I had expected.

This is one of the great things about learning to BBQ. Most often, the outcome is still something that is good to eat. Plus, you're learning something. As others have said, another cut of meat is in order, but in this case, there was still something to enjoy. Keep trying and keep learning!

I had success using a chuck roll as suggested by this site here. Picked it up at a Restaurant Depot, damn thing was 26lbs and it took me 22 hrs to smoke it to 203, but it was well worth it. Had pulled beef for a LONG time.

Thanks for all the replies. Got a nice piece of chuck roast and cooked it for 10 hours at between 225'F to 250'F. It came out really well. It just fell apart ! Had it with a home made tomato sauce.

Thanks for all the replies. Got a nice piece of chuck roast and cooked it for 10 hours at between 225'F to 250'F. It came out really well. It just fell apart ! Had it with a home made tomato sauce.

That's my favorite beef on the WSM. Leftovers go into vegetable beef soup which gives the soup a nice spicy smokey flavor.

Ian, I saw the responses were mostly about the cut of meat and I'm glad you had success with a chuck roast. I'll be trying pulled beef with a 6 lb. chuck roast today and my concern is mostly about the time. Based on reading and my own experience, I would expect that it may take about 4 - 6 hours total based on a 1 - 1/1/2 hour per pound guideline to get to 190*. I'll also be doing a 10 lb Boston Butt in the same cook (along with assorted wings and stuffed jalapenos or whatever). I've had BBs take up to 2 hours/lb, so I'm starting late with the chuck and hope it will be done by the time the ACC tournament finishes tonight (Go-o HEELS!) and I expect the BB to run overnight. (Separate remote thermometers in each including a Maverick 732 for sanity.)

Thanks for your post, Ian, and the comments. It's been a while since I've smoked anything (due to my wife's alpha-gal allergy), so there's a little adventure in all this.

Rich

Last edited:

Back