New Searwood pic.

Because they don’t taste the same?

If Lumberjack does make Cabelas and Weber pellets, well I’ve had some from all three and none taste alike. Twice as good, maybe or maybe not? I can say Cabelas, while good, pales compared to Weber pellets.
Interesting, like I said I always heard LJ makes them but I don’t think we’ve seen proof that is the case.
Either way I love Webers Grill master blend, but I don’t think I’d pay full price for it.

Because they don’t taste the same?

If Lumberjack does make Cabelas and Weber pellets, well I’ve had some from all three and none taste alike. Twice as good, maybe or maybe not? I can say Cabelas, while good, pales compared to Weber pellets.
You must have an amazing tasting palette as I can't tell the different from any of them. Except for the 100% species pellets from Lumberjack: 100% hickory etc. All the blends seem the same to me.

I did notice on my last brisket, because of the heating issue I had that I linked to the Kirkland pellets, I dumped them previous to this brisket, and filled up with the Smokehouse 50/50 Oak/Hickory blend which differs a lot from the blend(s) sold at Costco and Sam's which are both labeled as Oak, Hickory, Maple and Cherry blends. IDK if the order tells the content or not or even if I got the content correct. In any case my previous brisket had been with the Kirkland blended pellets in the same grill. I have to say a couple things I noticed with the Smokehouse "Classic" 50/50 mix. One, the smoke was way more "continuous". With the other blends it would come and go. Sometimes to almost invisible. With the Classic blend it was always pretty consistent. Yes a little heavier and lighter as the controller regulated the temps, but WAY more consistent. Also the flavor was WAY deeper than the other multi blend ones. I mean, no one would (or should) ever complain about a "lack of smoke" on that last brisket, whereas on the previous, yes plenty of smoke IMO BUT far more subtle. WOuld I classify one as "bad" or worse? Or one as life changing better? No. But DEFINITELY different and definitely more pronounced but not in an over powering sort of way as I have tasted from time to time. I would have to say, just perhaps more tot he liking of someone who might be wanting more pronounced smoke. And in neither case was the taste "off putting" or bitter, or having an off odor or taste in any way.
So that said, was one a clear "winner"? Not really. Loved them both. Only other thing I noticed is running the 50/50 Smokehouse over the multi blend Kirkland also (especially given the temps I was cooking in) gave the Big Z a WAY more consistent temp. In both cases confirmed with independent thermometer beside the RTD. The multi blend would vary +- 15 deg. Whereas the 50/50 Smokehouse held within a max variation of 10 deg from set point, on the independent and 5 on the built in. A tolerance I will gladly live with considering I could not place the independent one precisely where the RTD is. Also the RTD tended to react a little more slowly than the ThermoWorks probe which by their nature react very quickly.
Bottom line I will continue to buy and use when needed both the Kirkland and the Sam's Club multi-blends in warm weather only. (especially on the Kirkland). The Sam's multi blend being Smokehouse branded did not have the temp issues the Kirkland did. Even though the blends were the same.

I agree on the Smokehouse 50/50 blend. I get lots of smoke rolling on the SF. Likely has more hickory than the standard “Competition” blends which usually contain maple. Maple IMO is almost flavorless and I consider it a filler.

At my age (75) I'm lucky I can taste anything at all. But I can tell a distinct difference with the Weber pellets compared to any of the others, that being a good thing. A much richer smoke flavor, if there can be such a thing.

Seldom mentioned in these discussions, I think CookinPellets.com produces some outstanding smoke flavor.

You must have an amazing tasting palette as I can't tell the different from any of them. Except for the 100% species pellets from Lumberjack: 100% hickory etc. All the blends seem the same to me.
They even SMELL different as they burn.

Well they BETTER be good for $10lb! Holy smoke nearly as much or more than some of the proteins we throw in the smokers :eek:
I got mine from the guy who sold me my Recteq, but I see their “Perfect Mix” on Amazon for $34.99 for 40lbs. Not a bargain, but not crazy.

Yeah, IDK I don't see me dropping more than $20 per bag of 40lb. Easy enough to get good stuff for that and under. Maybe if I was on a competition circuit and wanted every last advantage.................. I know there is another (from what Tom Horsman says) REALLY good product out made from pecan shells. Out of curiosity I looked them up. and crazy expensive. Nah, unless that smoke brought me Barbara Eden ain't happening

I used some Pit Boss pellets recently and was impressed.
Menards had a sale going around thanksgiving. I used the apple on a turkey then recently a ham.
Agree, I have about 5-6 bags of Pit Boss apple and really like them. Actually, for the money on sale all their pellets are pretty good.

Yeah, IDK I don't see me dropping more than $20 per bag of 40lb. Easy enough to get good stuff for that and under. Maybe if I was on a competition circuit and wanted every last advantage.................. I know there is another (from what Tom Horsman says) REALLY good product out made from pecan shells. Out of curiosity I looked them up. and crazy expensive. Nah, unless that smoke brought me Barbara Eden ain't happening
I doubt I would spring for that, either, at this point, anyway. There are so many pellet brands - and some definite bargains - that it gets hard to sort it all out. For me, Lumberjack at $9 for 20 pounds is a decent deal on a well-regarded brand. I only mentioned CookingPellets.com because I do think theirs is exceptional, but it seldom, if ever, gets mentioned here. Again, there are SO MANY brands that it is hard for many of them to even get noticed.

I know there might be a time and a place for almost any of them. I just haven't found that time or place (or the $$$$ for that matter). I figure if the fuel costs more than the protein I am putting on, something is wrong :D
Back to the subject at hand. I really am looking forward to seeing one of the new ones in the flesh. Maybe my Farm and Fleet will get them in. They sell a number of Weber products

I know there might be a time and a place for almost any of them. I just haven't found that time or place (or the $$$$ for that matter). I figure if the fuel costs more than the protein I am putting on, something is wrong :D
Back to the subject at hand. I really am looking forward to seeing one of the new ones in the flesh. Maybe my Farm and Fleet will get them in. They sell a number of Weber products
Me too, but I am not sure where one will be able to be seen around me. Maybe the large Ace near Indy that has A LOT of Weber grills.

IMG_4328.jpeg

Back