New Searwood pic.

The Weber pellets were very good, but way overpriced - at least until Lowes dumped them when they gave up on the SmokeFire and exercised anything related to the SmokeFire off their shelves!
I hope and maybe wishful thinking Lowes decides to carry the Searwood in stock. Maybe this new design and the pricing is good they give Weber another shot. I get they are married to Pit Boss but they would have more of a premium brand like HD has Traeger alongside.

I noticed today (an apologies if this has already been said) that it says Last Chance next to the Smokefire on Weber.com.
No apologies necessary Weber saying last chance to get a smokefire when its dead and buried maybe they are still trying to blow those out who knows. No idea why anyone would buy one with the Searwood coming would make no sense.

$21 is way overpriced for pellets?
Not sure if you are joking or serious. I can get 20lb bags of Lumberjack for less than $10 at Rural King. I did buy a number of bags of Weber pellets. First I paid top $ and shipping when they came out and then at a bargain when my Lowes was dumping them. Still love their Grill Master Blend.

Not sure if you are joking or serious. I can get 20lb bags of Lumberjack for less than $10 at Rural King. I did buy a number of bags of Weber pellets. First I paid top $ and shipping when they came out and then at a bargain when my Lowes was dumping them. Still love their Grill Master Blend.
I’m completely serious.

I buy all range and manner of pellets, from $10 bags from Cabelas to $20+ bags of Weber and Green Mountain. Royal Oak, Jealous Devil, etc. the only brand I will not buy anything of is Traeger.

The best pellets I’ve had are the more expensive ones, namely Weber and Green Mountain (GMG is by far superior in flavor in my opinion). The cheaper stuff works and tastes fine but lack that pop.

They all have their place and when I desire primo flavor, I’m prepared to pay.

When you can buy 40lb bags of pellets for $30, they aren’t overly cheaper than 20lbs at $20.

What pellets does your SmokeFire run?

They only seem to like thinner pellets. Many have had success with Lumberjack and Cabelas, rumor was Weber was Lumberjack.

Since weber does not make pellets, they must use a(n) outside supplier(s). I would also have to believe (could be wrong here IDK) that in order to maintain supply they might use or likely use more than one outside contractor. Now that being said. So that being said regardless if Lumber Jack, or some other companies make them, I find it a far stretch to think they would have separate machines and lines to produce for such small quantity to place in Weber branded bags.
I could be wrong here, but my guess is whoever makes them simply puts a certain amount of whatever run they have going into Weber branded bags. Again purely speculative

Although it's been a while since I used any Weber pellets in my Camp Chef, I have to say I was impressed with the quality and flavor profile of them. I still have two unopened bags, have to give them a try again. Also, Lumberjack and Green Mountain are also two of my favorites.
Fortunately, the CC will eat any pellets you feed it.

My Smokefire has run anything I’ve put into it. I don’t recall any issues at all.

And of course Weber said to use their pellets. That’s what a company does. It’s why car manufacturers say to use their replacement parts, or to take to their repair place. This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone and isn’t a bad thing that Weber said. It’s business folks

Last edited:
I have more pellets than time to cook right now, but I am glad I have a Rural King not too far away. They started to abandon Lumberjack in favor of a house brand that got horrible reviews. Rural King quickly backtracked and now carries Lumberjack at great prices.

I guess Rural King's price on LJ is why I made the comment about Weber's pellets - which I like very much - being way overpriced. But why pay twice as much when you can get the "original" for half the price?

Because they don’t taste the same?

If Lumberjack does make Cabelas and Weber pellets, well I’ve had some from all three and none taste alike. Twice as good, maybe or maybe not? I can say Cabelas, while good, pales compared to Weber pellets.

Back