My Weber

ScottL

Hello,my name is Scott and I am from Rockford, MI. Thanks for accepting me in the forum. I just finished re-doing my Weber Genesis 2 that I bought new in 1985. It is #16,623 of the first square bodies made. As I understand it they made 40,000 the first year and were worried that they would all not sell (they did). I love this grill and own 3 other Webers. Just wanted to share this with the group!tempImageh0QXry.png

Beautiful grill, Scott. Welcome. Is that the original control panel for that grill?
Thank you. Yes, original. Inside is new stainless burners, bars and grates. I used new stainless bolts and screws where I could. Had to use a zinc based anti seize to help keep galvanic corrosion down as the original hardware had started to corrode where steel met aluminum.

Really nice, glad you kept it all this time. If I had bought a Genesis instead of a Spirit in 1994, I would surely still have it. I gave the 700 to a friend and now I have 3 Gennys with extra row of flavorizers.
Out of curiosity though, in a later year the side burner would have made it a Genesis 3. Perhaps in 1986 they just had the two versions?

Last edited:
Very nice restoration on a classic Weber! I love those older ones. I have two of them.
They sure don’t make them like they used to.
I doubt any of the newer ones will be cooking steaks for 39 years!

Gerry
I agree plus the cost! I paid $439.00 + tax for this one in '85. I see the new ones go up to around $4,400!

Really nice, glad you kept it all this time. If I had bought a Genesis instead of a Spirit in 1994, I would surely still have it. I gave the 700 to a friend and now I have 3 Gennys with extra row of flavorizers.
Out of curiosity though, in a later year the side burner would have made it a Genesis 3. Perhaps in 1986 they just had the two versions?
The side burner on his grill has been added later. The side burner from the earlier Genesis 3 had the igniter button and control knob in the front, under the frame, not on top.

Gerry

Hank, thanks for the complement! I added the side burner later. Found an original at a now defunct hardware store.

Welcome to the forum and awesome job on your grill Scott. Looking forward to some cooking posts on your Genesis 2.

Last edited:
Nice work Scott looks fantastic and welcome to the forum.
I also have a 1985 gen 2 chocolate colored awaiting restoration, also a low serial # if I remember correctly one of the first 200 made. It is in remarkable shape being an Arizona grill even the FBs, grates, and burners are original and like new.
Age and health have held me back from getting it done but after seeing yours the fire is lit again. My wonderful wife who has been a part of every restoration flip I've worked on said last night let's get it done when I showed her yours! I think her theory is it will look great next to our 1989 green Gen1000LX now upgraded to a 2000 that we bought new in 98. FYI. The Gen 2000 is her personal grill and I think maybe she will have two pretty soon if this works out.

101_7310.JPG100_4503.JPG
DSCN2766.JPG

Hello,my name is Scott and I am from Rockford, MI. Thanks for accepting me in the forum. I just finished re-doing my Weber Genesis 2 that I bought new in 1985. It is #16,623 of the first square bodies made. As I understand it they made 40,000 the first year and were worried that they would all not sell (they did). I love this grill and own 3 other Webers. Just wanted to share this with the group!View attachment 89337
Looks great, especially the wood!

Scott,
What size and type of wood did you use, like said above that looks great. As you can see on mine it has 1" X 4" flooring for shelf material.

Back