My Weber

Nice work Scott looks fantastic and welcome to the forum.
I also have a 1985 gen 2 chocolate colored awaiting restoration, also a low serial # if I remember correctly one of the first 200 made. It is in remarkable shape being an Arizona grill even the FBs, grates, and burners are original and like new.
Age and health have held me back from getting it done but after seeing yours the fire is lit again. My wonderful wife who has been a part of every restoration flip I've worked on said last night let's get it done when I showed her yours! I think her theory is it will look great next to our 1989 green Gen1000LX now upgraded to a 2000 that we bought new in 98. FYI. The Gen 2000 is her personal grill and I think maybe she will have two pretty soon if this works out.

View attachment 89391View attachment 89392
View attachment 89393
Rich, that's great. I had fun doing it although all in it was about 8 days of work (not 8 hour days, I'm retired and can pace myself!) I wish you luck in your endeavor. The biggest problem for me was getting some of the old screws and bolts out. Had to drill and re-tap one.

Scott,
What size and type of wood did you use, like said above that looks great. As you can see on mine it has 1" X 4" flooring for shelf material.
I have a friend who's father dealt in the lumber business and had some redwood (which its originally came with) in his garage. I milled it down with a table saw then put 3 coats of spar varnish on it.

Scott, if you wouldn't mind could you post a picture of your control panel. I know you said it was original but from your picture it looks a lot like a late 90's panel and not the same as the one on @Rich Dahl grill. I'm just curious.

I have a friend who's father dealt in the lumber business and had some redwood (which its originally came with) in his garage. I milled it down with a table saw then put 3 coats of spar varnish on it.
Thanks for the reply, Scott. I've decided that was what I wanted (redwood) and both Barb and I agree that it needs to go back to being an active grill instead of a museum piece. Although a well taken care of active grill. Reserved for Barbs cooks and her great ribeye's.
With 10 grills and two old farts to use them it won't see too much service. ;)

Rich, that's great. I had fun doing it although all in it was about 8 days of work (not 8 hour days, I'm retired and can pace myself!) I wish you luck in your endeavor. The biggest problem for me was getting some of the old screws and bolts out. Had to drill and re-tap one.
About 6-7 years ago I was doing about 2-3 restores a week. Then I figured out that I was making about $2.00 an hour, but it was fun. Now not so much. Wife is in a two year program to have both hips replaced and both knees replaced. So, my focus immediately changed to picking up the things that Barb could no longer do. Soon after I found myself with some disabilities that made it even harder to keep up. Will just call it old age.
Plus keeping an eye on Medicare and our supplement insurance as each hip is 100K and each knee is 50K+, so far so good. First knee ended up costing us $185 OOP, I can live with that.
Second knee will be June 1st than another six weeks of rehab. We live in Prescott Valley and the doctor and hospital is 100 miles away in Scottsdale. Last year we put 5900 miles on the car for doctors' visits and her surgery. so you can see not a lot of time for restores.
But as the saying goes " How do you eat an Elephant...one bite at a time"

About 6-7 years ago I was doing about 2-3 restores a week. Then I figured out that I was making about $2.00 an hour, but it was fun. Now not so much. Wife is in a two year program to have both hips replaced and both knees replaced. So, my focus immediately changed to picking up the things that Barb could no longer do. Soon after I found myself with some disabilities that made it even harder to keep up. Will just call it old age.
We can relate to that…….

Scott, if you wouldn't mind could you post a picture of your control panel. I know you said it was original but from your picture it looks a lot like a late 90's panel and not the same as the one on @Rich Dahl grill. I'm just curious.
It’s definitely a later control panel. The igniter button would be frameless among other differences for a grill of that vintage.

It’s definitely a later control panel. The igniter button would be frameless among other differences for a grill of that vintage.
Yeah, that was my thought as well. No big deal obviously, I was just curious about it.

Back