My First Weber CL Score!! 2000 SS Performer Touch -N-Go

Mary Teal

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been keeping my eyes open on CL for a Performer. When this baby showed up on CL last Tues. I still putting the finishing touches on the 2001 Genesis C I was restoring. I sent a e-mail and my number and told them I was interested.
I got the call the following morning, and was told they wanted $65 for it..but if I came that day, I could have it for $50!
Well, of course I bought it! She looks good on the outside, but OMG the inside of the kettle was the filthest grill I have ever seen! The carbon was so thick inside the lid, it was like 1.5 inches of black fuzzy type Crap, even protruding out of the vent holes!
The charcoal grate is broke, the cooking grate, I will replace due to the fuzzy Crap inside of hood, the propane bottle empty and non certifiable, so hoping I can just replace hose and regulator and re-fit it to today's disposable 1 pound green bottle. The burner tube will be replaced, again due the fuzzy condition of kettle insides.. I also want to replace a part of the cart under the control panel, due to rusting out.
So here I go again, with another restore project just 4 days after the last restore.
But how I love the vintage performers!

Congrats on the find! The propane tank is OPD and may very well be able to be recertified my your local propane dealer. Refilling them is much cheaper and less of a hassle than buying new one lb. bottles. Additionally, cheap oven cleaner (I'm partial to the type sold at Dollar Tree) might put a dent in the carbon build-up so you can get in there with a razor blade and preserve what is there.

W Tyler, I jumped at the $50 price! I love all things vintage, and I have wanted a performer for sometime, this thing seemed to fit the bill all the way around. I ordered the parts needed to restore today from Weber!

OGlenn, the people I bought it from said they tried to get it receptive, but was too old. I may however just go to Wal-Mart and buy a new one for $38. But I kinda like the idea of retro fitting with the small green bottle. I wouldn't probably use either bottles, as I'm perfectly happy using a charcoal chimney. I just want to restore it so it has a working igniter.
Now, tell me what OPD stands for. :) I'm still new to this jargon..

Mary

Continue using the chimney, but being able to light it with the propane and the push of a button is NICE. If you don't plan to move it around much, you could get a hose and use a regular 20 pound cylinder.

Thanks, Tim..but you have more confidence in me than I do..This Performer is totally a horse of a different color, compared to the Genesis restore. But for sure, I'll try my best..

Hi Greg! As soon as I read your message, it was like a V8 moment! Why didn't I think of that! You are absolutely right, I could use a 20#! I'm going to blame it on not having a afternoon coffee as of yet! :)
Thank you for the V8 moment..and advice!

Mary

Great score Mary! I have the newer version performer that uses the small green bottles and I converted it to a 20# bottle over a year ago and the bottle is still 3/4 full, I'm sure it will last 3-4 years of lighting coals. If you don't move the grill around a lot it's the way to go, much cheaper then refilling or buying the smaller bottles.

Wow, that thing is hairy inside. I bet they were getting creosote on their food. Oh well, we know it will look amazing when you are finished with it.
I especially like that you got the old wire charcoal baskets, the guys on here prefer them to the new cheaper sheet metal ones.
All in all, a great score!

Greg, the picture I posted of all the fuzzy/hairy Crap coming out of the top vents was after I got it home!
That Crap was protruding out of those vents like those furry little tribbles on Star Trek! The ride home in the back of my truck blew the outside of it off down to the vent hole! It was as tho that vent was wearing 3 little afro hair do's.
I can't believe the former owners did not get sick from all that crap.
Once I get it all cleaned out, top and bottom, with oven cleaner, I'm going to load her up with some Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Blend lump charcoal and let er rip to sterilize it. That lump burns HOT and long, and then I'll continue with the restore.
You know, those old wire charcoal baskets are still available on EBay and Parts Direct, but they want $40. bucks a set for them! Now granted, I don't care if I ever see a wire brush again in my lifetime, but I'll be damn if I'll pay 40 to replace them! I'll just get the newer style.

Mary!!! It's a keeper!! I also have a older Performer SS and when I bought it , the original tank still had propane in it, so I didn't think too much, until I ran out. I take my 20# tanks to Pacer Propane, a propane distributor and they refill them fore me if the date stamped on the handle is less than 12 years old. When I took some 20# tanks in to get filled. I also took my smaller Performer tank and asked if they would recertify it for me. They said yes, but I had to leave the tank there for a couple of days. If I remember correctly, they charged $2.50 to recertify it and the recertification is good for 5 years. This might be the way to go for you...

very nice mary! congrats on a great score!

if you've never tried this, see if you can find a can. it's worked wonders on some old kettles i'm rehabbing.
20140923_064502_zpsvpshpruq.jpg

20140923_064302_zpsbvwfc75g.jpg

it will take the dullness right out of the black part of the kettle too and leave your elbow unharmed. ;)

Back