Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

i got all the stuff to put these on the WSM in my cast iron dutch oven under some butts tomorrow. lid off of course. can't wait to try them!!!

i did the 2 cans of bush's recipe and smoked them in my cast iron dutch oven for almost 5 hours at 230. i used left over spare rib meat. my word, they are awesome!!

Let me get in on the act... These are AWESOME! I did them under 4 racks of Baby-Backs this weekend and the beans, for me, outshined the ribs

(didn't care for the KC+Honey glaze called for to finish the "Competetion Ribs" recipe)

:::hopes the wife doesn't finish off the last of the leftovers before I get home:::

I still haven't had the opportunity to make these beans but that will hopefully change this weekend. Everyone raves about these baked beans, however after reading all the comments, I just realized that no one states what kind of beans are used, pork and beans or Bush's Baked Beans?

Erik

Originally posted by Erik G:
I still haven't had the opportunity to make these beans but that will hopefully change this weekend. Everyone raves about these baked beans, however after reading all the comments, I just realized that no one states what kind of beans are used, pork and beans or Bush's Baked Beans?

Erik
As per Keri's recipe posted on page 1 I used Bush's when I made them. HTH

Since I have a few cans of baked beans laying around, I'll use it tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't turn out too sweet, especially with the sweet baby ray bbq sauce.

Erik

Erik, they do turn out sweet, but the heat balances the sweet. Leave out the brown sugar if you like until you see if they suit you - you can always add it in after the rest is mixed up. The sweet hits you first, then the heat.

Not sure if you have Head Country products out there, but the Head Country sauce and rub works well in this also.

Keri C

Thanks for the advice Keri. I don't believe we have Head Country products around here, at least I haven't seen it.

Erik

Everyone raves about these baked beans, however after reading all the comments, I just realized that no one states what kind of beans are used, pork and beans or Bush's Baked Beans?

I have made them with both types of beans. I pretty much stay with the pork and beans though. They are good either way IMO. I have made them with varioius types of meat also. Pulled pork, shredded beef, chopped brisket, hamburger, sausage, and combinations of above.

Personally I think they are better with at least some beef. I make a large batch "triple" batch at a time. My favorite way is using 2# of pork and a pound of chuck or brisket.

I've made these three times now, to rave reviews.

Does anyone have any experience with freezing them? I know it sounds like sacrilege to not eat all of them right away, but I'm putting together a frozen cooler of Q to send to my mom at Christmas, and I know she'd love these!

I've frozen them several times. In fact, I froze a full half-pan of 'em this weekend. I vacced them into a gallon+ sized bag and laid them out flat in the freezer. To reheat them I'll just let them thaw and drop the whole sealed bag down into a pot of water and bring it up to a simmer for a while until they're hot, and then dump the bag into a bowl or half pan.

They survive the freezer pretty well.

Keri, I made these for my wife's b-day last weedend to go along with some tri-tip *cowboy rub* which she loves and your beans out did everything
icon_smile.gif
Thank You, they were SO GOOD.

Mike

Hi Kerry,

I'm going to try your recipe this weekend for the first time. I've heard rave reviews about them on this board and others. I'm looking forward to it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I served these beans at American Legion function and I had to make 94 copies of the recipes for the people that was there. Mind you them was couples who asked so I would say at least 90% wanted the recipe. Also we have been invited back only if we serve the beans. Plus a couple more of non profit group dinners we have been asked to serve,

Just wanted to say that I HATE baked beans.

HATE is not too strong of a word.

I HATE them.

But I'm a good sport and I'll try anything once.

So I saw the most recommended side dish on this board, and decided to give it a shot. My wife cringed at the thought of apples in her baked beans, as well as bell pepper. But we decided to try it out and see how it went. I had a bunch of meat on the smoker yesterday morning and threw a fatty on there for crumbling into the beans.

I didn't like them.

I LOVED THEM! Holy smokes. I love these beans! They went over very well with the crowd we had. We did have some leftovers (one whole batch for 8 people) so I'm going to bring some to my neighbors today. Wow!

Originally posted by Todd R.:
Any reason these can't be done in a crock pot? It's probably a stupid question
icon_smile.gif
Todd, You can, but remember to take the lid off after a few hrs so they thicken up. If you leave the lid on the whole time they will be very runny. You could also drain the Bush's beans some, but I don't like to do that.

As it seems I am the last person west of the Mississippi to try this recipe, I made a batch the other day. They turned out great and were a big hit!

Dave

Back