Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

A co-worker brought some of these beans in for lunch today. They are awesome, the best baked beans that I have ever had. Looking forward to making some for my family.
Mike

I'd like to try making these for a gathering this weekend.

Regarding the meat ... I don't have any smoked pork/beef on hand ... any thoughts regarding how the recipe is using "crumbled cooked pork sausage"?

Also ... it seems like the recipe is forgiving in what type of BBQ sauce you use.

Aw shoot, sweetheart, it's beans, not chemistry!
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, Dennis, the pork sausage works fine. To be quite honest, I sometimes put these together with no meat at all, and they're perfectly fine. Better with meat, though, I think, but fine without. The variety of sauce is up to you, of course, as long as it's a bold relatively sweet variety. If it's availale in your area, you might try Sweet Baby Ray's. I know it works well. If I don't use Blues Hog, I personally use Head Country, but I don't know if Head Country is available in Ohio or not. Today's batch includes Blues Hog sauce, and Texas BBQ Rub for the rub part. (We're feeding a big group of fellow GoldWingers tonight that are travelling from California to Nashville and we're on the schedule for dinner.)

Adjust the ingredients as necessary - enjoy!

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Thanks Ron ... I'll give it a go!

Keri ...

Aw shoot, sweetheart, it's beans, not chemistry!

I'm a chemical engineer ... everything is chemistry!

Thanks for the advice!

We cooked up a batch of these beans today for my nephew’s HS graduation party and they were a huge hit. Used Sweet Baby Ray’s for sauce and Texas BBQ Rub. And, we added the cayenne powder. We also supplied 4 butts smoked with TxBBQRub Brisket Blend and another BBQ bean recipe I found on The BBQ Forum. Everyone loved both beans but we got more complements and recipe requests for Keri’s. Thank you very much Keri!
icon_cool.gif

Hi Keri, made a batch of beans today using smoked briscut I made. EXCELLENT! Thanks for the recipe. Made BRITU ribs, had Ohio sweet corn, a cold Sam Adams, life don't get much better. Thanks again.

Got rave reviews here at the monthy potluck. Used a maple fattie that I had smoked and left out the hot stuff (I work with great people but they are weak when it comes to hot food).

Not meaning to dis Keri - I NEVER mean to do that - but I made her beans, using my pulled pork and my sauce and rub de jour and put them in the smoker under a rack of ribs.

Good stuff, but not as good as Ray Basso's recipe IMHO

BBQ Beans

2-16 oz cans Bush Baked Beans drained
¾ cup BBQ Sauce
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped green onion
1 cup chopped smoked meat
2 tbs honey
¾ tsp paprica
¼ tsp dry mustard
1 tbs bbq rub
1 tbs Horseradish

combine, fold together

Place in smoker at 225 – 275 until hot (90 min)

That's the fun of it - find what you like, and tweak it 'till you like it better!

Therefore, in the interest of "tweaking", note that I've adjusted the Hog Apple Bean recipe just a bit - only to change the beans themselves to 2 28-oz cans of Bush's Baked Beans. I like the results better.

Keri C

Keri,
Just tried your recipe last Saturday when we had 40+ people round in the evening. Did change it a little. Couldn't get tinned apples so used fresh cooked with the onions and peppers. Also added some fresh pineapple chunks as well. Also used other bean varieties as well as the baked beans. The Maltese friends who were here went crazy for them. I had made a very big batch and they were all gone before I even had chance to have some myself. Great recipe. Will definately use again.

I've made about 4- triple batches of these beans, and they get better each time I make them. I load them up with as much meat as I can, I add the bacon, sausage and one type of meat I smoked, chopped into a fine dice. They turn out teriffic.

Just for a twist I used a berry filling instead of the apples. The sweetness was the same. There was no noticable berry flavor messing with things, but the color was a much more appealing deep reddish, chili color.

Now I use either, and am happy with both!

Hi Keri,

I have made this recipe several times now, always with great reviews. For Christmas this year to compliment the smoked Turkey, I made this recipe again. Since I had no pulled pork, and my daughter-in-law is allergic to pork sausage, I used Spicy Turkey Sausage. One of the gentlemen there claimed that these were the best baked beans he has ever had.

Thanks again for your wonderful recipe and for making a beginning smoker look like a pro!

George

Hi Keri, thinking about making these beans, however I have a question. There are several sizes of apple pie filling at the store, I was wondering how much apple pie filling do you recommend? Thanking you in advance for your response.

Erik

I've made variants on this theme twice now and got rave reviews both times.

The first time I made it I had just been to an apple farm near San Luis Obispo and had a bunch of fresh picked apples. It seemed just wrong to use canned apples over those beauties so I diced up fresh apples. To be sure they weren't too firm I sauteed them for a few minutes as the onions were finishing up.

Amazingly good.

I have been making these with great success, as well. Gotta love pulled pork in with the beans, bbq sauce, and apple. This recipe is a true winner.

There are several sizes of apple pie filling at the store, I was wondering how much apple pie filling do you recommend? Thanking you in advance for your response.

Erik Around here we only have one size and that is 20 oz there abouts. That is the size pie filling I use. Well until I started making triple batches. Now days I goto GFS and buy the great big cans of pie filling. I think they are around 110 oz. I use half the can with a whole big can of beans the same size around 110 oz. I haven't bought any in a while I forget the actual size of the can.

Dump in all of the pie filing. I gave the recipe to a friend of mine and he thought you were suppposed to drain off the liquid from the apples. The more sweet that is present the more heat you can lay to it.
icon_biggrin.gif
I love it. I can't begin to tell you how many people who say they don't like spicy but will sit and eat some of these beans. My mom and grandma don't like spicy. They won't eat my britu ribs because they are too spicy but will sit and eat a plate of beans. Which how I make them I think the beans are hotter than the ribs. The beans just have a lot more sweet than the ribs.

I done somethihg a bit different last weekend. I took the point off of the brisket when the flat was done. Then put the point back on for several more hours to make burnt ends.

I know some of you will cringe when I say this but I chopped up the burnt ends and put into the beans. I think they were the best ever.

So here's a dumb question -- when baking for an hour, covered or uncovered ? I'm guessing uncovered if it's only an hour...

New and
icon_confused.gif

Depends on if you have more juice in the beans than you want. I usually do them uncovered, myself, if I'm doing them for an hour in the oven. If I'm doing half-pans in the Fat 50 stickburner, then I cover them with foil for the first hour or so, then leave them uncovered if I need to let some juice evaporate and thicken up.

It's a very forgiving recipe. Last weekend I made an 18-qt roaster full of 'em to give away for People's Choice at Bixby. I ran out of time and didn't get onions chopped, so I made them without the bacon and onion. People still went nuts over them. I used both apple and peach pie filling in this batch as well.

Whoever first came up with the "Apple Pie Baked Bean" recipe that I found some years back that this was originally based on must have been brave to dump that first can of pie filling in their beans, but it sure was a good idea!
icon_smile.gif

Keri C
Hot Wire BBQ

Back