Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

Originally posted by russell swift:
Can anyone recommend a good commercial sweet/heat sauce to use in this recipe? I was thinking something like KC Mast.?
Sweet Baby Ray's, Bone Sukin, or KC Master Piece will work. But I have to tell you that Blues Hog BBQ sauce is the Bomb in any bean recipe. i.e. if you happen to have a bean recipe that you love, your go to bean recipe and do add BBQ sauce to it, do yourself a favor and get a jar of Blues Hog Original for them beans.
icon_wink.gif

Keri Thanks so much for the recipe I made a batch of these beans and wow they are that good. This is now my goto Baked Bean Recipe.

Not new to the site but first-time-poster.

This past weekend, we fired up the bullet for some clod, pork shoulder, spareribs, and beef ribs (dinosaur). I needed a side dish that could live up to that menu so we chose this one based on the reviews.

My initial thought upon reading the recipe and then the replies by everyone was one of skepticsm on how spicy this could possibly be with the apple pie filling. It didn't really matter either way but it just didn't add up.

So, we fired up the recipe and my friend (co-cook) and I gave it that first taste. Wow. It was good but WHERE WAS THE HEAT? We really didn't taste any. Wanting some, I added about a teaspoon (maybe a tsp and a half--I eyeballed it) of cayenne and a matching amount of freshly ground black pepper. Perfect!

This dish was the perfect compliment to the pulled beef, pulled pork, and ribs. Thanks to Keri for the original recipe!

Other modifications to the original recipe that seemed to work out was dicing the apples into smaller pieces (as someone has already mentioned) and 1/2 of a poblano in place of the green pepper, which we assumed was a bell pepper.

I will definitely be making more of these beans in the future. Thanks again.

My wife made these to go with some butts I was smoking on the WSM. Turns out they were SO GREAT, AWESOME, and FILLING, that we are them for lunch alone and saved the pork for dinner.

I'm not a big fan of baked beans but my wife and I fought over who got the last bowl of leftovers yesterday!! (not literally.... but we both stated our case as to why I or she should get the last serving
icon_biggrin.gif
)

I can't wait to have these again!

It's almost like sweet chili. BTW, we used pulled pork (Mr. Brown recipe) for the pork in the dish.

Ding, ding, ding, WINNER! Wow. I followed the original recipe exactly as stated and was floored by the results. You start with baked beans, add a bunch of smokey, salty meat, and then a ton of sugar (brown sugar, apples) and you end up with the best baked beans ever. These were a huge hit and I greatly thank the posters for giving this recipe the attention it has gotten.

As a side note, I started this recipe on the stove in a dutch oven. Once I got everything sauteed up and mixed together I put it on the lower rack under the ribs I was smoking. 1.5 hours later, it all came out and my guests drooled all over themselves. Fantastic stuff.

Drew

Ya'll are just way too nice about these beans.
icon_smile.gif
You know, I've received numerous e-mails from people who were either asking permission or letting me know that they had used these in competitions, and most have done well. A number of firsts were reported, and many top fives. In fact, in one competition back east last year, two competitors in the same competition had let me know that they were using the recipe. They came in 2nd and 4th... shame on me, but I never told them that they were competing against each other with the same recipe.

After all that, I will be using this recipe in competition for the first time this weekend. I'm going to go exactly by the recipe - no tweaking, no modification, other than keeping the chipotle powder down to half a teaspoon so as not to offend too many sensitive taste buds. I'll report back on Sunday.

Keri C

Update - my first use of these beans in competition this weekend garnered a 2nd place out of 36, with mostly 9's in both taste and appearance. One 6 in tenderness - not sure where that came. I did adjust the recipe a hair - I used half apple pie filling and half peach filling, dumping each into the food processor and bumping it twice to break the fruit up into pea-sized chunks. I think I like it like that.

Add another to the " Best Baked Beans" list. I don't think one could make them bad really. Tweak it to your likings and Pig out
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Keri

"2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)"

So does this recipe call for 32ozs. or 56ozs. of Bush's Baked Beans? I'm thinkin' 56 but I don't want to screw it up.

Sounds yummy, can't wait to make it for my sons grad. party Sat. Along with 2 butts.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jeff Stinson:
"2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)"

So does this recipe call for 32ozs. or 56ozs. of Bush's Baked Beans? I'm thinkin' 56 but I don't want to screw it up.

Sounds yummy, can't wait to make it for my sons grad. party Sat. Along with 2 butts.
icon_smile.gif
Yep 56 ozs of Bush's Beans.

I wanted to do these simultaneously with some spareribs I am doing for my family on Father's Day. What could you recommend that I could use for the meat in the beans that I could smoke/grill while the ribs are going?

Also I was planning on using the same BBQ sauce for both the ribs and the beans. Would you advise against that? This is my first smoke and don't have any experience to base this off of.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks!

Originally posted by Kyle H.:
I wanted to do these simultaneously with some spareribs I am doing for my family on Father's Day. What could you recommend that I could use for the meat in the beans that I could smoke/grill while the ribs are going?

Also I was planning on using the same BBQ sauce for both the ribs and the beans. Would you advise against that? This is my first smoke and don't have any experience to base this off of.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks!
Kyle, you can use sausage, I use that in my one bean recipe (Bob Evans, Jimmy Dean etc) pre cook it and crumble it up. I don't usually put the meat in. I just cook up a lb of bacon and just use that. Yes you can use the same sauce in both, no worries.

Yes, Jeff, I modified it to two 26-oz cans of Bush's, or 56 oz total beans. Some still like the smaller amount of regular pork and beans, so use either one you want. When it's been used in competitions, all the competitors that have checked back with me have used Bush's (and all that I've heard of have been top five, including me.) Mix it up, then tweak it to your heart's content. If I'm making them for us here at the house, I typically don't add the chopped meat, and they're still fine. For public consumption, though, they get leftover chopped pork or brisket. No problem at all using the same sauce in the beans on and on the ribs. Well, there may be one problem. If you don't take pictures for us. That might be a problem...
icon_wink.gif

Keri C

No problem at all using the same sauce in the beans on and on the ribs. Well, there may be one problem. If you don't take pictures for us. That might be a problem...
icon_wink.gif

I'm making a post about it in the new WSM owners board. I will be posting pictures there eventually.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

The recipe that will not die. Just made it tonight using brisket as the meat. Alas, the rub I chose was just a wee bit too hot for the majority of my guests. Those that can tolerate a little heat loved it (including me!). The leftovers are going to make killer lunches for the next week. Thanks for posting this recipe way back when!

Made my second batch of these beans yesterday, for today's rib cook. I halved the recipe, since it'll only be 3 of us....used a mish-mash of baked beans that we had in the pantry (Bush, Campbell's, etc)....

The wife and I just grilled some burgers and hot dogs for the 4th....decided we'd dip out a spoonful or 2 of the beans as they cooled......

GEEZ !!! We couldn't stop eating them ! I'm not a "sweet" guy, but these beans are great ! I think someone needs to notify the FDA about a new addictive substance
icon_smile.gif

Thanks, Keri !

Dean...

I had my first opportunity to include some of my pulled pork in the beans instead of sausage. Man o' man, I didn't think that they could get any better! I have cut back on heat a little (1/4 t of cayenne powder), but they are still great.

Back