kamado charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Jones

TVWBB Pro
Anyone tried the kamado extruded coconut lump charcoal in their WSM? I'd like to try it for those very long cooks. Please post your experiences with it.

Also, if there's anyone in central ohio that would like to experiment with it and split a shipment, let me know. It's on sale right now so this might be a good time to get some.

http://www.kamado.com/

Ed-

Yep, I have used it in my WSM. Rick Jones and I picked some up cheap at the Las Vegas competition in Nov. It really is a very good charcoal. It lasts a bit longer than Kingsford (maybe 15%), and the claims of drastically reduced ash are not made up. If it was more readily accessible, I would load up on it. However, I don't have room for a pallet-load, and don't know enough people close to me who care to go in on an order......

Oh, and it works in my Kamado, too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If you can find some folks who want to split a large order with you, you will do well in the price/performance department!

HTH,
Rich G.

Here is a post I made about it a while back:
Kamado Charcoal

I believe that it is on sale right now for $6.99 a box. I have a pallet on its way to Colorado and hopefully it will be here next week.

Mark

Does anyone have any doubt that this will store well? I'd buy a pallet if I knew it would not deteriorate. I have a dry basement for storage.

It will store well. It is well-packaged in a plastic bag inside a sturdy cardboard box. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pallet-load if I had the dry space to store it.

Rich G.

Great stuff, I did a 48 hour cook on a WSM without adding charcoal. Did two batches of butts.

It also burns much cleaner, not much ash and the end product looks better. Used some for ribs and they were much lighter than Kingsford. I believe I can tell the taste difference also. If I did not have a FE100 now I would be using K-lump in competition.

I'm think I might get some of this. What type would anyone suggest. I was thinking of getting the extruded stuff. Also, in one of the posts, someone use a box for a cook. Does that seem about right? If so, getting a pallett of 30 doesn't seem too exsessive because that would only be about a year's supply at about one cook every other week.

Thanks for bringing this up. It had slipped my mind that I wanted to try it. I notice on their website that it's on sale for $6.99 a box. Not really a bad price compared to Kingsford.

Guess there is some benefit to living in Sacramento...

A whole box fills up the charcoal ring nicely if you just dump it in. I use the extruded stuff. If you are anal and line all the chunks up perfectly I am sure you can get more in. Be sure to put some good chunks of smoking wood in because this stuff does not create a lot of smoke flavor on its own.

I *really* want to try some of this stuff, unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone in Kansas City that will carry it. I don't really have the space to store a whole palet of the stuff...and if I did, my wife would just kill me...I might bite the bullet and order a box to try, then see about clearing out the space in my garage for a palet...

I crossed the river to West Sacramento today to pick up some Kamado Charcoal. They have it on sale for $6.99/box for any amount. It's regularly $11.99 or $8.99 for pallet quantities (15 or 30, I'm not sure). I suspect the sale will go a while, as they have two shipping containers of the stuff to sell. I calculated it to be roughly double the cost per pound compared to Kingsford at Costco price. Not a bad deal if it does everything they say.

I'll let you know what I think when I get a chance to cook with it. They claim it burns hotter and longer than Kingsford, so I'm thinking I should start with less, and light fewer coals to start Minion method. Anyone have any educated suggestions.

BTW, although the web site has four kinds of charcoal, they only have the extruded coconut. There cookers are awfully nice too. Could probably even talk the wife into one of these on the patio.

I've got a box of the Kamado coming to test it out. Would anyone over here in Eastern WA be intersested in splitting a pallett?

What's the word on kamado charcoal? And where can i get a box to try? Whent to kamado.com no where to order from web-site,Help, thanks Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And where can i get a box to try? Whent to kamado.com no where to order from web-site,Help, thanks Bryan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give 'em a call. I saw an Atlanta outlet, perhaps they have other locations.
1-888-KAMADOS
info@kamadocharcoal.com

Thanks Chet, In this day n age one would think i could go to anything and everything .com, pull out the plastic money and just buy buy buy. But i guess some are still in the 80's. I will call them, thanks for the info. Bryan

I am thinking of driving the 65 miles up to West Sac to get some, my only reservation is that at $7 a box, that's 2.2 pounds per dollar, at HomeDepot the 2x24 pound bags run $7.99 on sale, or 6 pounds per dollar..

My thoughts are that if it burns like lump it would be good in my Weber Kettle.. probably stick with Kingsford in the WSM to keep costs down.

To those that have used it, does it Burn hot like Lump Coal?

Tony,

I think I'm with you. I bought 8 boxes, and I think they will be best for the kettle. It does burn hot, I think due to both the material (pure coconut) and the design (the hole in the middle increases burning surface area).

Thank you John.

I'm going to grab some to checkout before I load up a truck. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back