Coffee Beans what's in your grinder ???

I am currently messing around with a moka pot. One of the youtube coffee guys says that if you allow the coffee to sputter out of the cone near the end of the brew, your coffee will be too bitter. So, as soon as it starts sputtering, he says you should run water over the boiler section kill the steam pressure that's forcing the water up thru the coffee grinds. I need to get a real coffee grinder sometime soon so I can stop using pre-ground. If anyone has a recommendation for a proper coffee grinder, I'm all ears.
Depends on your budget, how specific to a type of grind it needs to be and so on. I.E I make all different kinds. Occasional French press, occasional Moka Pot, pot of drip every day and a double shot of espresso nearly every day. So every thing I read found that for such a wide range Breville Smart Grinder Pro was a very good choice. Also the newest KitchenAid grinder, and if your budget is REALLY tight, the machines on Amazon from Shardor are really inexpensive gems

I am currently messing around with a moka pot. One of the youtube coffee guys says that if you allow the coffee to sputter out of the cone near the end of the brew, your coffee will be too bitter. So, as soon as it starts sputtering, he says you should run water over the boiler section kill the steam pressure that's forcing the water up thru the coffee grinds. I need to get a real coffee grinder sometime soon so I can stop using pre-ground. If anyone has a recommendation for a proper coffee grinder, I'm all ears.
I saw that video and tried it but it left water in the bottom. I start on high and turn it to very low once it starts to come out the top. That seams to be working for me. There is a long thread that I think Larry started on coffee grinders. I am very happy with the Shardor he recommended and it was about $50. https://www.amazon.com/SHARDOR-Adju...tronic-Anti-static/dp/B0CKYZLK9B/?tag=tvwb-20

I saw that video and tried it but it left water in the bottom. I start on high and turn it to very low once it starts to come out the top. That seams to be working for me. There is a long thread that I think Larry started on coffee grinders. I am very happy with the Shardor he recommended and it was about $50. https://www.amazon.com/SHARDOR-Adju...tronic-Anti-static/dp/B0CKYZLK9B/?tag=tvwb-20
Water remaining in the bottom is expected by design, there is a gap between the bottom of the boil chamber and the funnel spout. Once water falls below the bottom of the spout pressure will be relieved up through the funnel spout, thus the gurgling.

If anyone has a recommendation for a proper coffee grinder, I'm all ears.
Single dose or batch brew ? If single dose (say less than 25 to 30 grams) take a look at hand grinders. With a hand grinder the manufacturer can put more money into the burr set since there is no cost of an electric motor.

Water remaining in the bottom is expected by design, there is a gap between the bottom of the boil chamber and the funnel spout. Once water falls below the bottom of the spout pressure will be relieved up through the funnel spout, thus the gurgling.
Almost no water is left in the bottom if when I brew with low heat instead of turning off. I love this large Moka pot. I am going to eBay my AeroPress from about 15 years ago that I rarely use as I like large cups of coffee;-)

Almost no water is left in the bottom if when I brew with low heat instead of turning off. I love this large Moka pot. I am going to eBay my AeroPress from about 15 years ago that I rarely use as I like large cups of coffee;-
You can boil the chamber dry by forcing steam up through the coffee bed but brewing at 212 F plus can lead to the bitterness people notice, particularly with the darker roasts often used for Moka.

It is definitely a matter of personal taste, some don’t like acidic, some don’t like bitterness.

So, I bought a 58MM naked bottomless portafilter setup for my KitchenAid. Decided to give it a whirl. Well, I'll be darned if that thing did not pull the best shot it's EVER pulled regardless of type of coffee. And for the record it was with the Kirkland Espresso Blend. And like the Casabrews, it put on a nice head of crema (best it's ever done not using a pressurized basket). Funny thing is the portafilter I bought, is a Casabrews brand. Go figure :D
Anyway thanks to these portafilter sets I am more impressed than ever with both machines

So, I bought a 58MM naked bottomless portafilter setup for my KitchenAid. Decided to give it a whirl. Well, I'll be darned if that thing did not pull the best shot it's EVER pulled regardless of type of coffee. And for the record it was with the Kirkland Espresso Blend. And like the Casabrews, it put on a nice head of crema (best it's ever done not using a pressurized basket). Funny thing is the portafilter I bought, is a Casabrews brand. Go figure :D
Anyway thanks to these portafilter sets I am more impressed than ever with both machines
Naked just means that it does not have a bottom with the holes to direct the flow at the bottom. Is that correct? If so how does that make a big difference?

Naked just means that it does not have a bottom with the holes to direct the flow at the bottom. Is that correct? If so how does that make a big difference?
I think "naked" means the basket is separate from the portafilter holder. I saw some which were not separable. So I think "naked" refers to the fact if you pull out the basket there is nothing there.
As for second question. Well, a couple weeks ago, if you'd asked me IF using one made a difference I would say "no how could it". But, I am not sure how or why, but they pull a MUCH better shot. At first I thought maybe they had a higher quality basket included. But, nope. I tried with the baskets that came with the holder and with the ones for the machine itself.
So, IDK what "magic" is happening in a bottomless one but something is different.

Here is a “regular “ portafilter next to a “naked “ one.
Naked portafilters are usually used so you can easily see what is happening in your brew .
Can be a little messier though

Attachments

• IMG_1002.jpeg
    IMG_1002.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 3
So a day or two ago I read something interesting about keeping coffee beans fresh after you've opened them. Many (like me) pour them out of the bag and into an air tight container of sorts. Supposedly that is bad and speeds up oxidation. The article went on to say doing so introduces the beans to even more oxygen than simply leaving them in their folded over bag. Scratching my head here. Though I GUESS I can sort of see it. I'm thinking perhaps it would be even better to leave them in their bag BUT store that bag in an airtight container large enough to hold it.
I guess I get the original premise as it was written by one of those "coffee snobs with the man bun, weird T-Shirt, and other give aways". And likely he's buying in 1lb or less bags and paying upward of $20 for them. Rather than a slob like me, buying a 2.5-3lb bag on the cheap at Costco or Sam's.
But, it did give me pause to think about it. So my hunt is on for a larger container where I simply hold the entire bag and only pour into a smaller container. (I usually take out enough from the large container into a Tupperware container that holds 2 or 3 days worth).

Death Wish Dark Roast (I dont know if someone also mentioned this, I didnt read thru 13 pages ...)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240504_100538_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240504_100538_Chrome.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 0
So a day or two ago I read something interesting about keeping coffee beans fresh after you've opened them. Many (like me) pour them out of the bag and into an air tight container of sorts. Supposedly that is bad and speeds up oxidation. The article went on to say doing so introduces the beans to even more oxygen than simply leaving them in their folded over bag. Scratching my head here. Though I GUESS I can sort of see it. I'm thinking perhaps it would be even better to leave them in their bag BUT store that bag in an airtight container large enough to hold it.
I guess I get the original premise as it was written by one of those "coffee snobs with the man bun, weird T-Shirt, and other give aways". And likely he's buying in 1lb or less bags and paying upward of $20 for them. Rather than a slob like me, buying a 2.5-3lb bag on the cheap at Costco or Sam's.
But, it did give me pause to think about it. So my hunt is on for a larger container where I simply hold the entire bag and only pour into a smaller container. (I usually take out enough from the large container into a Tupperware container that holds 2 or 3 days worth).
I think that article is pretty much worth ignoring.

Well an interesting thing this AM. Brewed my AM pot in the Breville Precision Brew. Changed only one parameter in the "My Brew" setting. The water temp. Everything else was the same (volume of ground coffee, brand and type, grind setting, and so on) Only increased the brew temp by 5deg and ended up with a "sour" brew. Pretty weird that only a 5 deg increase in temp would turn from a smooth, tasty cup to a slightly off putting slightly sour taste.

5 degrees is significant in coffee - that is light roast brew temp vs dark roast brew temp temperature difference. That is also the reason you need a coffee maker, espresso machine etc that reproduces accurate temperatures repeatedly.

Well an interesting thing this AM. Brewed my AM pot in the Breville Precision Brew. Changed only one parameter in the "My Brew" setting. The water temp. Everything else was the same (volume of ground coffee, brand and type, grind setting, and so on) Only increased the brew temp by 5deg and ended up with a "sour" brew. Pretty weird that only a 5 deg increase in temp would turn from a smooth, tasty cup to a slightly off putting slightly sour taste.
That is the opposite of what I would have expected (sour taste). Sour is a characteristic of under extracted coffee and a hotter brew temp should yield a higher extraction. Were there any other variables that might have changed ?

Back