Cleaning the lip of the cook box, Is grinding and repainting the only option?

D Ngo

Hi, I'm trying to get rid of the black burnt marks around the lip. I tried using wire brush along with oven cleaner and it does not seem to yield any significant result. I don't want to get too aggressive that I might accidentally remove the paint in the area.

(Picture I found online, it is not my grill)

387873069_6911228908936524_755080134414088064_n.jpg

Those are tough to get rid of while keeping the paint intact. Oven cleaner might remove them but it will probably remove the paint.

I would heat up the grill to soften the gunk and scrape it off with a decal razor scraper

I have not found a way to clean the black burnt grease stains from the side of a gray cookbox.

I gave up and instead painted the cookbox and end caps with black high heat semi-gloss. I think it looks great and the black hides future black burnt on grease stains.

1699908588784.png

Last edited:
Has anyone tried color matching the cookbox finish? What color should I get?
The problem with that is you are working with a grill part that will require High Temp paint. The choices are very limited in colors and the options are usually very expensive outside the few regular colors.

The closest match to the gray on those grills is probably the Massey Furgusen Gray, but as far as I know, it is only available in NON High temp versions. It matches the gray frame color verrrry close.

Has anyone tried color matching the cookbox finish? What color should I get?

The problem with that is you are working with a grill part that will require High Temp paint. The choices are very limited in colors and the options are usually very expensive outside the few regular colors.

The closest match to the gray on those grills is probably the Massey Furgusen Gray, but as far as I know, it is only available in NON High temp versions. It matches the gray frame color verrrry close.

Ya, my options are even more limited since I'm Canadian. All of the paints in the topic are either not sold in Canada or at a very high import price.
Guess I'd just try out myself what they have off local hardware stores

I am with @DanHoo. His inspired me to do a total blackout:IMG_2394.jpeg
This one was a fun walk on the wild side, but if your gray cabinetry is OK, there is no need to paint it black unless you are OK with the extra work. Touch ups can be done readily with the Massey Ferguson gray mentioned by @Bruce.

Last edited:
I'd go with black. If you can find rustoleum ultra high heat semigloss it's a winner.

I fixed up this one for a friend this summer.
I am with @DanHoo. His inspired me to do a total blackout:
This one was a fun walk on the wild side, but if your gray cabinetry is OK, there is no need to paint it black unless you are OK with the extra work. Touch ups can be done readily with the Massey Ferguson gray mentioned by @Bruce.
Looks very nice!
However, I only have a few spots and having to disassemble the whole grill and repaint is a lot of work, especially during this time of the year as paint won't dry at sub zero. I think I would go with just spraying some color matching touch up here and there comes spring.

Looks very nice!
However, I only have a few spots and having to disassemble the whole grill and repaint is a lot of work, especially during this time of the year as paint won't dry at sub zero. I think I would go with just spraying some color matching touch up here and there comes spring.
Give Dawn Powerwash Platinum spray a try. Since it is a vertical surface, try using a few layers of paper towels, spray it on the towels and and let it soak. I did this on one of my cook boxes and was able to clean up some of the grease stains, however it was a lot of work and didn't get all of it.

I find it hard enough to adjust to what winter does for working on grills since my move from Florida to Indiana. I can't imagine what Canadian winter will do🥶. DanHoo's idea is a good one, but I guess you are stuck waiting until things thaw out!

Unless you have some heated enclosure (ventilated), it is best to not fight Old Man Winter and just wait for him to have his turn.

Give Dawn Powerwash Platinum spray a try. Since it is a vertical surface, try using a few layers of paper towels, spray it on the towels and and let it soak. I did this on one of my cook boxes and was able to clean up some of the grease stains, however it was a lot of work and didn't get all of it.
Is it more powerful than an oven cleaner? I used the Goo Gone Oven & Grill Cleaner and it doesn't work well enough. It does seem to work when I tried to degrease inside the firebox but inside I can get away with using wire wheels aggressively.
Probably the grainy texture of the exterior paint holds caked grease more.

Back