Cast iron Pesto and a Combo Pizza

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
After seeing Steve’s pesto cast iron pizza we decided to give that a try as I’ve never made homemade pesto.

We grow basil every year as we really like for all sorts of things. So we got some pine nuts dragged out the Cuisinart a pile of fresh basil, evoo, a couple of cloves of garlic, S&P and made some pesto.

Barb made some homemade pizza dough.

I made the pesto pizza with ham, fresh mozzarella, onion, bell pepper, garlic, mushrooms and parmesan.

Barb made a combo with sausage, pepperoni, sliced mozzarella, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, black olives topped with a little shredded Mexican blend cheese.

Two 12” CI pans were used for the cook.

Both pies came out great. Used the E320 running about 400 degrees dome temp.

101_5654.JPG101_5657.JPG101_5660.JPG101_5665.JPG101_5668.JPG101_5669.JPG

101_5677.JPG

Those look good, and you'll be making pesto again I suspect! Just an FYI, if you've got lots of basil at the end of the season it can be stored in the freezer in a standard cheap ice cube tray with olive oil to fill in the cells. Won't have the fresh crisp texture for something like a caprese salad, but it works just fine for pesto or soups etx.

You won't be sorry, Barb and I do these frequently and sometimes make four and freeze two for quick reheat meals when Barb works late.
Rich could you take us through how you did it, did you warm the cast iron pan up first or is there a thread somewhere. Wife out of town this weekend might give it a shot.

Brian,
I will get back to you, right now after spending a week in the hospital I'm up to my A** in doctors appointments (had seven this week alone so far and another tomorrow) and things that I have to get done at the house. Which by the way I'm not supposed to do.
Barb is a trooper but with working and taking care of me I have to help in every way I can.
Sorry I can't get to it right now, but I will get you the info as soon as I can.

Back