a kind of restoration but do not take it word-for-word

Don't use chemical rust remover. Really just heat them and brush them clean than wipe them down generously with canola oil while hot. Basically "season" the bare spots. They'll last forever

Thanks LMichaels, I will try this. The restoration proceeds slowly, I think I want this to be too clean because it was so dirty. I know it will be black again, but that will be my smudge :).
Every time I decide the grill has reached the point where it is clean enough I always find sg that makes me think there is a lot of dirt that can be removed. So I start again :).
I do not have gas tank so "seasoning" can be started after I bought one...

Nothing wrong with using a chemical rust remover as they merely "reverse" the rust process. As long as you oil and heat the heck out of the grill you are fine.

Well you can use it on stuff you cook on but not me. No chemicals should EVER touch my cooking surfaces and they are not necessary

Peter.. just checking in to see how the restore is coming along. I have started another while waiting on my parts from Weber! This time, I'm working on a Genesis Silver A about 9 years old.
Keep us posted how you're doing.

Mary

Dear Mary,

thank you for your kind interest.
As I wrote before It is a slow movement, I have other things to do. However it seems I finished the cooking box. I mean it is not in factory state but it shouldn't be. The lid is not 100% clean and it is very difficult to come along. Chemicals do not work, only the putty knife is useful but cleaning a 1 sq inch area takes 15 minutes at least. Both my arms and my fingers aches. And I also feel stiff :).
I will post before/after pics in a few days...
Take care!

Dear Mary,

thank you for your kind interest.
As I wrote before It is a slow movement, I have other things to do. However it seems I finished the cooking box. I mean it is not in factory state but it shouldn't be. The lid is not 100% clean and it is very difficult to come along. Chemicals do not work, only the putty knife is useful but cleaning a 1 sq inch area takes 15 minutes at least. Both my arms and my fingers aches. And I also feel stiff :).
I will post before/after pics in a few days...
Take care!

Peter, I feel your pain! After I got through restoring the Genesis C, my upper arm ached like crazy! I even had trouble lifting a cup of coffee or reaching for cup out of the cupboard, not to mention my finger tips and under my nail beds on my right hand, specially my thumb, as I used it to scratch little bits of crud off the inside of the lid..
A few days ago I started another restore on a 2006 Genesis Silver A. That one went pretty fast, but am still waiting on parts I ordered from a third party on Amazon, like the flavor bars and grates.
So while waiting on parts to complete the silver A, I started the SS Performer I bought a few weeks ago.. I can honestly say this performer has kicked my aging *** but good! This thing had at least 10 if not more layers of solid as a rock carbon on both the inside of the lid but the kettle too. Heavy Duty oven cleaner only got me down a layer or two.. ( I used 2 cans!) I finally broke through the last layer this evening, after working a solid 2 days on it!
Not only do my hands hurts, my back is killing me, from leaning over that performer for 10 hours a day.
Once my parts from Weber come in, and this thing is done..my restore days are over! I'm getting too old for this kinda stuff! I suppose if we used power tools instead of wire and brass brushes and putty knife, we wouldn't be aching so bad..
Good luck to you, all your hard work will pay off!

Mary

Hi Mary,
Congrats to you, a big thumb up (not the aching one) :)!
Why do you have so many grills? Especially those that need restoration? Ok-ok, I can imagine...
Peter

If you want this done in minutes, take it to a paint/powder coating shop and have them bead blast it (they use plastic pellets or walnut shells)

Hi Mary,
Congrats to you, a big thumb up (not the aching one) :)!
Why do you have so many grills? Especially those that need restoration? Ok-ok, I can imagine...
Peter

Well, it's like this, Peter.. once I finished restoring my first Genesis, I was very pleased with myself, not ever doing something like that before..or even installing say, burners or igniters before..it gave me a gratifying self worth that I took something from nothing, headed to the scrape yard and restored it back to its former glory. THEN I came across a what I thought at the time, beautiful stainless steel performer, I wanted a performer in the worst way, but finding a vintage 2000 one, was a dream come true. I immediately ordered parts from Weber so I could start restoring this jewel, but they failed to tell me they were starting their yearly inventory, and it would be a couple weeks before they would even think about shipping.. So fast forward a week or so ago, I found a Genesis Silver A on Craigslist...which I didn't know was a silver A, and went to take a look at it, and even though I didn't want a 2 burner, I bought it for the price of the full propane tank that came with it, and the new cover.. I figured I could restore it quickly and flip it.. but again, I've been waiting on parts, which all my parts, even the Weber ones finally arrived today! So hopefully, by this weekend, I'll be less one grill. And hopefully, tomorrow the SS Performer with it's restore ( it's been a beast!) and to be able to throw a Mojo griddle on it. ( like a Mongolian grill) That's my plans anyway.

Hi all!
Many thanks for the information on restoration.
I've almost finished. I put it together and tried it yesterday. What a feeling!
I only need to paint the outer parts of the end cups.
Here are some pics.

the lid
IMG-20141011-00502.jpg

nice one
20141020_191142%255B1%255D.jpg

another one
20141020_191243%255B1%255D.jpg

Thanks Tom!
It was really a pain-in-the-neck job, but believe it or not I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm not a handyman > I do not like my hands to be soiled... :)
However, my only chance to have a Weber was to buy a used one. And the used ones wear the sign of usage...
I'm very happy now that is all that matters.

WOW! That is about the best restore I've ever seen and there are some great ones on here! I've done a few of the older Weber gassers but nothing as nice as that, it looks like new.

Nicely done PeterG, prolly one of the best restores I've seen here and there's been many good ones

Wow excellent job Peter! And you have the gratification and pride of doing it yourself. Now you get to get it dirty again! lol

Peter, WOW! That grill came out looking brand new! It's truly is beautiful! It looks as though it came off the showroom floor! Congratulations on your brand new grill! What's going to be your first cook?

Dear all,
you are so kind leaving these comments, thank you very much!
I try to paint the end cups in the next few days to put the icing on the cake. Of course I'll post new pics after I did it.
I think we will cook chicken wings first because tomorrow is National Holiday here and everything will be closed and we have these in the fridge :).
Take care!

Back