a kind of restoration but do not take it word-for-word

Thanks Dave!

@LMichaels
I'm sorry I missed your second reply.

To all of you according to the bars: I decided trying porcelain first, I hope mines are the original ones, if so they worked 12 years. I do not think the previous owners took care of them well.
A guy whom I ordered the bars from here said he would search for a better solution, so I'm waiting...

Peter, By chance, do you have friends or family who live here in the states?
The reason I ask is because my Son lives out of the country and whenever he tries to order something off Amazon or EBay and the seller does not ship out of the U.S., he has it shipped to my address here in Oregon, and I re-ship it once it arrives here. We have found it takes 7-9 days turn around on most packages with the exception of Christmas time, which can take a week or two longer depending.
Just thought I would throw that out there, in case you have not thought of it before.

Mary

Thanks Mary, you are very kind.
I did and do it several times, unfortunately I'm running out of opportunities but I still have one relative there. But you know I cannot expect them to post things continously... On top of it they do not accept the cost of postage. It is getting unpleasant for me. For example: I wanted a cover for my gasser. On Amazon.com it is $40 but not ship outside US, on the British amazon it is Ł130 (!!!) on German amazon it is €200 (!!!). What?!? So I ask them to receive and forward it...
Bars are heavy, lot of postage... Anyway, seems they will be delivered today. Problemo solved :)
But the idea is brilliant and thanks for throwing it.

All carbon based gas does this. I have both NG and LP grills in my stable and both leave moisture to an extent. Propane is not unique in this. It is part of the combustion process. There is no moisture in the gas as some have tried to point out. I am simply pointing out that gaseous fuel doesn't have moisture in it. The combustion process can produce moisture. Frankly IMO it does not affect anything whether the metals of the grill or the cooking process. I can and do perform tasks equally with gas (both kinds) and charcoal (hardwood lump only thank you).

All carbon based gas does this. I have both NG and LP grills in my stable and both leave moisture to an extent. Propane is not unique in this. It is part of the combustion process. There is no moisture in the gas as some have tried to point out. I am simply pointing out that gaseous fuel doesn't have moisture in it. The combustion process can produce moisture. Frankly IMO it does not affect anything whether the metals of the grill or the cooking process. I can and do perform tasks equally with gas (both kinds) and charcoal (hardwood lump only thank you).

LM, I don't think anyone claimed that LP itself is unique in this regard. That NG is also a "wet heat" doesn't preclude propane from being one as well. Some people would believe that since there's fire and flame, that everything must be dry. That's not the case. Burning propane (and NG) DOES give off water vapor which makes it a "moist/wet heat" which is all that has been claimed. The moisture from this burning does play a part in the corroding of parts. In my view, this would help explain why burner tubes do indeed rust out even though they are protected from drippings by the flavorizer bars and even if you are meticulous in keeping your grill covered when not in use.

Peter,
I can't believe Amazon won't ship a cover outside the U.S.! My Son has a Prime account as well as I do. Amazon ships him everything under the sun, except anything liquid, or has a battery (like even a watch) or a bbq grill, which I'm assuming it was due to the gas. He ordered a Webber Q and a stand. Amazon would not ship the Q out of the country, so he had it shipped to me, and I shipped it. It only cost $30 something dollars to ship, and how we do it, is we both have PayPal accounts, and I have PayPal's debit card that allows me to to use my PayPal funds anywhere Visa is excepted. So my son will put money in my PayPal account, and I just head the post office and swipe my card for payment of postage.
And since he is a Prime member he has FREE shipping, so he only pays for shipping once, and that's on my end.
Also, the trick to keeping shipping costs down, I send everything ground. You and I both know anything going out of the country is not being trucked..it's all flown.. and like I said in earlier post, it's only a 7-9 day turn around. If I mail it on a Friday, it will get there usually the next Monday, due to the weekend.. But if I mail on say a Monday- Thursday, it's there the following week on the day I sent, except of course at Xmas time.
If you need another state side shipper, I would be glad to help you out . I'm am fluent in shipping as well as customs. So fluent, the guy at the post office knows me by name, and we play a game of " How much is this one going to cost" and he's amazed I usually nail it within buck or two. I have been doing this for 7 years now, at the very least twice a month, last month, I shipped 8 huge boxes of school clothes for the kids.

Mary,
agreed, this is ridiculous but true. I put the cover into the basket, I'm a Prime member but the seller doesn't ship it. I was forced to ship it inside the US. At least the 2-day-shipping cost me nothing. It doesn't matter, I hope it will arrive soon.
As far as your offer is concerned it is very generous, thank you.
Where are your kids, anyway?

Today I made one small step for my grill, a giant leap for my grates :). I finally can see the porcelain on the grates. What a suffering it was, but was worth it. Of course it didn't get new, but I now dare to put food on it. Some part are still intact but sooner or later I can put it together.

BTW, I have warming rack and warm-up basket. What does the warm-up basket good for? It is in the lid. Thx.

Peter,
I have 3 children and 9 grandkids and one great grandson.
My children ages are: oldest daughter is 40 and lives in California. My son is 36 and lives in the Dutch Antilles in the Caribbean on the island of Curacao, 35 miles off the coast of Venezuela. My youngest daughter is 35 and lives in Portland, Oregon.
Granted, I've never shipped to Europe per say, wait! I've shipped to Germany for 3 years, while my son was stationed there while serving in the Air Force, and I've shipped to several middle east countries as well as Korea. I even once had to ship a A/C to Saudi. Anyway, I don't remember the costs being so outrageous. My son and family have lived in the caribbean for 7 years now (since he got out of the Air Force) and I buy the grandkids clothes here when they are clearancing out summer clothes for very cheap and ship them, since it's summer there all year round. ( No change of seasons what so ever).

Last edited:
Mary,
Great family, thanks for sharing.
I can imagine you got discounted prices for airmail if your relative served in the Air Force. Just kidding but seriously shipments to military may be cheaper, I do not know. Anyway, the best to our planet is to buy things locally. If it is not a huge abandonment or a very high cost I can live with it. The cover is really expensive here that is why I figured out buying in the US but the bars are ok.
Mary, thanks again.

Mary,
Great family, thanks for sharing.
I can imagine you got discounted prices for airmail if your relative served in the Air Force. Just kidding but seriously shipments to military may be cheaper, I do not know. Anyway, the best to our planet is to buy things locally. If it is not a huge abandonment or a very high cost I can live with it. The cover is really expensive here that is why I figured out buying in the US but the bars are ok.
Mary, thanks again.

IF the person was active duty, then they were probably using the APO/FPO system.

https://stamps.custhelp.com/app/ans...~/overseas-military-mail-(the-apo/fpo-system)

Short version is that one would pay the postage to New York for packages going to Europe, or San Fran for packages going to Asia. Then the package enters the APO/FPO system for delivery.

Hey Peter - I might be back in Budapest/Szolnok in the next couple months. If I am headed your way I will PM you and see if I can bring anything over.

Yes, more or less (w/o knowing the details) that was what I thought. But doesn't matter, there are things that are worth buying from the US, there are others that not...

I managed to rescue the grates from the burnt fat. What was my reward? Rust under the fat...
IMG-20140927-00464.jpg

It bothers me, especially because the food touches the rust. Should I get new grates or there is a solution for that? Thx.

Back