Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
wow what a good product, I just made my best jambalaya yet using it and smoked sausage, smoked dark chicken and some shrimp ... I'd suggest holding back a bit of the water they call for though and I add fresh diced green pepper about half way through

I've tried a few from scratch recipes and gotten fantastic flavor but usually poor texture from using either basmati or Uncle Bens Converted rice/ too much liquid

neways, give this one a try if jambalaya is your thing .. really nice flavor, not too strong so it's tweakable, you can get the rice texture just right for you with a little practice

Being cajun.......it's ok stuff.

I'll add onion and bell peppers, and use chicken stock instead of water.

It's great at tailgates and such.

ya I throw a little chicken bullion in the water or use retained water from boiled sausage & chicken ... really liked the smoked sausage and smoked dark chicken in there though, I don't think I'll use white chicken meat any more

lots of tabasco sauce and some crushed chilies in there for me to kick it up 5 notches .. a little bit of Old Bay too

I picked some of this up at the grocery store awhile ago. I have it simmering in my dutch oven on the stove at the moment. I picked up some andouille sausage and chicken tenderloins that I diced and precooked. I'm anxious to see how this turns out. I've never had Jambalaya before and I see it cooked on foodnetwork all the time.

I like the product as well. Here in SE texas I have found they sell a reduced sodium Zatarain's Jambalya Mix that I very much enjoy. The stuff is so highly seasoned that you don't even miss the extra two tablespoons of salt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Somerville:
I like the product as well. Here in SE texas I have found they sell a reduced sodium Zatarain's Jambalya Mix that I very much enjoy. The stuff is so highly seasoned that you don't even miss the extra two tablespoons of salt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer the lower sodium version myself. Some of these prepackaged mixes contain an enormous amount of unecessary salt. Don't get me wrong, I use salt often I just prefer to let the person eating the food determine how much salt they like.

Back