Your best work

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I'm not having much luck getting that succulent and heavenly meat I expect from my Bullet and I'm sure it my fault. So I'm asking all you experienced owners how you prepare what you might call your "Signature" dish. The one your guests always ask for...your most proud accomplishment with smoke. Pork, beef or chicken--it's your choice.

Maybe I'll then get a clue as to what I might be doing wrong and learn a trick or two from all you Sultans of Savory Delights.

Here is my contribution: Korean BBQ

2 lbs sirloin steak
1/3 C soy sauce
3 TBS sesame-chili oil
2 TB dry sherry
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 green onions sliced thinly
1/4 C sugar

Cut steak across the grain into slices about 1/4 inch. Place in glass container.
Combine soy sauce, sesame-chili oil and sherry and mix well. Blend in remianing ingredients. Pour over meat and cover. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Bring meat to room temperature before grilling.

Drain meat and attach to bamboo skewers (I thread it long ways onto the skewer). Place directly onto grill (a habachi works well, too) for 3-5 mins. per side. Serve with white rice and remaining sauce. Delicious.

Korean BBQ, while good, cooked on a WSM will be enhanced (compared to on a grill) minimally by the added smoke flavor.

Spare ribs - WSM'ed instead of boiled and slathered with bbq sauce is a winner

Pulled pork - Slow and low for 16 hrs instead of a crockpot is a winner

Turkey - Apple brined and smoked is a must every Thanksgiving

These and the recipes in the cooking section is what smoking is all about. The WSM just makes it easier(long and stable low temperature).

Most requested...mmmm...probably pork or ribs, mostly because you just can't find them out very much (least around here).

Pork - not much to it, heavy doses of rub of your choice...Smoking Guns Hot or a "sweetened" Mr. Brown...cook at about 275 dome temp for 10-12 hours, rest for 30 mins to 4 hours depending, pull into shreds in front of the crowd, easy peasy.

Ribs - I've done britu and many others, but what seems to get the best response is the Chris Lily championship approach (search on this site, not hard to find). Most of the time I use Sweet Baby Rays when serving up to a crowd. I almost always do loins, on the bullet I'd cook for about 4 hours at a dome temp of 220, foil for 45-60 mins, whenever they were "just done" (mostly used a toothpick test...when it glides through the center of the meat easy w/ little resistance, your there), then remove from foil, back on the cooker for 30-60 mins, applying glaze every 15mins or so.

Pork tenderloin with Jerk spices is a can't miss (I want to master a jerk cream sauce I had one time, prepared by Jimmy Bannos of Heaven on Seven...seved on pork tenderloing medalion...that stuff made your eyes roll so far back in your head you...wow it was beyond AWESOME!!!!). Come to think of it, jerk spices on anything, pork loin, chicken, country ribs, wings, ice cream...is a can't miss.

KYMike,
Nothing to apologize for. Everybody here loves to help others achieve BBQ nirvana. You indicated you weren't getting the results you expected, so the guys were offering a hand.

My 'signature' dish would be beef brisket. I trim the brisket, getting rid of most of the thick layer of fat, and nearly seperating the point from the flat. I rub it liberally with my own rub, and cook it on the WSM at about 250 dome using lump, oak, and cherry. I use a Piedmont Pan arrangement, with the top pan foiled and filled with 2 gallons of water. Once at an internal of 190-200, I foil it, add a little moisture (can't tell you what!), and rest it in a cooler for a couple of hours. Slice it pencil thick across the grain, and try to make sure there is some left for a meal. I cooked one for a fellow at church who called me last night and said it doesn't get any better.

I don't think I have a signature dish but for most of what I cook I like to keep it simple. Anyway since you didn't specify what dish your having problems with here's what I do for spare ribs and brisket (usually just flats here). I just hit it with a dry rub and let it sit while I light the WSM, and I throw it on as soon as I have my temp where I want it (in the 230-250 at the lid range). When a toothpick can pierce the meat with minimal resistance I pull them off, wrap em in foil, and let them rest untill I'm ready to serve. While there are exceptions I generaly don't mess with mops, marinades, foiling during the cook or anything else that makes things more complicated than they have to be. And I get results that IMHO are far better than any commercial BBQ joints around here.

I would have to say beef brisket , pork butts, ribs, whole chickens, and turkey breast. Seems like whatever I put in the WSM always comes out better and better each time. The people on this site have given me some great help and tips. Just try it the way they do and add some of what you like and you will be fine. The more I cook the better it gets.

I left out fajitas but that is another story.

Pork Spares would have to be my most requested by family and friends. Pretty basic stuff here except I use a rub thats a personal recipe. Its a brown sugar based rub with cayenne & chili pepper, paprika, a little salt, ground black pepper and garlic. I prepare them ST. Louis style, cut the slabs in half to go into the rib racks (except for the sternums and tips) and I get them ready the night before. I usually do 10#-18# at 225-260 (Lid Temp). I use 1 3/4 chimneys of Good Lump with about 4 fist size chunks of hickory. Normally takes 4 1/2 to 6 hours depending on how much meat, temp, wind etc. I don't foil them. I spray with Apple juice on the "Halfs" i.e. If I think they're gonna smoke for 5 hours I spray after 2 1/2 hours, then after 1:15, then after about 45 mins. I usually vent the fuel door with about 45 mins left for some extra heat at the end of the cook. When the meat starts to pull from the bone about 1/4", I know there ready. The bones don't slide out on mine but the meat pulls off really easily. I almost always make them dry (no sauce). Then I put out an assortment of sauces for people to use. I always cut my spares but not (my Loin Backs) I hope this helps.

I make all kinds of goodies, but what is crazy after all the work and smoking the most requested item was the recipe for Keri's hogapple baked beans.

Pastrami is the other big hit around here.

Back