YIKES! - What Now?

JimT

TVWBB Pro
Put a 12 pound packer on at 4:00AM this morning, for dinner around 7:00PM. May plan was to foil it at 165 to 170 degrees and take it on up from there. Kind of figured this would be around mid-day sometime.

It's only 6:45AM and I've already got 175 degrees near the end of the flat, 155 more towards the point. No plateau yet, the temp just keeps climbing. Lid temp has been hanging around 240, I'm now trying to cut that back.

The meat temps are with Nu-Temp probes, verified with my ThermoPen. All, I believe are accurate.

Need suggestions!!!

JimT

Just take the temp in one spot--mid-flat. Don't worry about the end as the temp is meaningless there. It sounds okay to me.

What is happening now?

8:00AM

163 and 180 degrees. The higher one is about 3 inches in from the end of the flat, the lower is more towards the point.

All bottome vents closed, still 240 lid temp. The Maverick probe, about an inch in from the edge of the grate shows 271.

Smells delicious!

JimT

Use the probe showing 163. You should be seeing plateau signs now. Unless you suspect your packer in very lean I'd wait till you break plateau (170, say) to foil. That will give the meat more time in that temp range and allow for slower rendering.

I'm sure it smells delicious!

Jim,

Just as Kevin says, read the temp from the thicker part of the flat. I wouldn't pay any attention to the thin end.

And, like Kevin says, you probably have hit your plateau in the mid 160's. It likely stays there for a while.

Kevin & Craig,

Thanks for your support. Looks like your advice is right on! The probes still read 163 and 178 (same as an hour and a half ago.) Just pulled the Fatty off, so I stuck that probe in the brisket too. Doggone thing looks like a pin cushion!

Time for a nap,

JimT

If I may. I know that I am new here, but why so many probes? One is all you should use. That should be placed in the thik section and that is it. All the others are doing is stressing you. Remember the meat is your friend why poke it more than once? Good ludk on the rest of the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gene C.:
If I may. I know that I am new here, but why so many probes? One is all you should use. That should be placed in the thik section and that is it. All the others are doing is stressing you. Remember the meat is your friend why poke it more than once? Good ludk on the rest of the cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Point well taken Gene, and thanks.

Welcome to the boards!

JimT

Back