yet another brinkman charcoal pan question

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I use the brinkman charcoal pan as my water pan, and have been very happy with it. But for one thing...do any of you who use the brinkman charcoal pan worry about the flanges not being able to support the increased weight of 2 gallons of water instead of 1? I mean, if I remember right, water weighs something like 7lbs a gallon...and those flanges are built for 7 lbs, give a take the fudge factor the engineers probably built in. It would SUCK if they broke, dousing my coals and ruining my cook (and possibly giving me a beautiful steam burn).

Any thoughts?

Phil

The same flanges could also be expected to support the weight of a couple of pork butts, and the lower grate itself, besides the standard 1-gallon pan. I haven't heard of any flange failures yet. Another gallon of water (8.34 lb.) shouldn't hurt.

Doug,

I was just thinking of the actual arms that stick out to hold the water pan, of course, these don't support any weight other than the water pan.

If you have done it a lot, and other's here have also, I guess I have no reason to worry. Somebody's would have broken by now if they were going to break at all.

Back