Yay or Nay?

Brett, I have been cooking on one just like it for over 20 years. I say yes!
Going to do BS chicken breasts and two leg quarters. She hasn’t been used since late 2020. Still has the original cover and drip pan.

Wish me luck. Haven’t gas cooked in 2+ years now.

@Brett-EDH after you cook hot direct on the skin for about 10 mins, move the quarters over the middle burner and turn the controls to High Off High and the heat should stay up and you should get a good indirect cook.

I would line the leg bones up over the top of the middle burner that is off as they need less heat than the thighs.

I’m running back on med high and mid and front off. Trying to get this to 350°. Ama’right with these settings?

I'd move the peppers to the front, cook them with the lid down over the burner on high. I'd move the quarters to the middle of the grates.

This was confusing.. my next post is what I really meant

Last edited:
I’m running back on med high and mid and front off. Trying to get this to 350°. Ama’right with these settings?

I'd run Front on High or Med High. leave middle and rear off. If temp isn't enough put the rear on low.

edit: and I'd still cook the peppers over the direct heat of the burner, but that's the way, ( uh huh, uh huh ) I like them

@Brett-EDH after you cook hot direct on the skin for about 10 mins, move the quarters over the middle burner and turn the controls to High Off High and the heat should stay up and you should get a good indirect cook.

I would line the leg bones up over the top of the middle burner that is off as they need less heat than the thighs.
I did 5 mins direct hot and now at high, off, off, back to front. Holding at 330° and settled.

Smells good! Did kosher chicken, pineapple juice, garlic parsley mix, and costcos salt less seasoning and a little Morton’s salt.

Last edited:
I'd run Front on High or Med High. leave middle and rear off. If temp isn't enough put the rear on low.

edit: and I'd still cook the peppers over the direct heat of the burner, but that's the way, ( uh huh, uh huh ) I like them
Just did this. My method wasn’t holding 330°.

Now chicken at rear, front H mid and rear Off

I’m trying to get to that 400° mark. F H, M H, B O.
That's not the sidewinder way for hot indirect...

High Off High with food in the middle, with the middle burner off.

If it gets too hot, bring the back burner down a little.

If it isn't hot enough light the middle burner for a few mins then turn the middle burner back off.

That's not the sidewinder way for hot indirect...

High Off High with food in the middle, with the middle burner off.

If it gets too hot, bring the back burner down a little.

If it isn't hot enough light the middle burner for a few mins then turn the middle burner back off.
sidewinder? you're using big terms on me.. im a beginner here.

Back