XMAS ham: Best Practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
So I've been honored with an invitation to cook a XMAS ham for my neighbors across the street. Let's just say that what I don't know about ham.... is everything.

I've been to Chris' cooking topics section and learned a lot. What else should I know? When I say I'm ignorant here I mean it. I thought ham was something that always came between 2 eggs on a bagle
icon_wink.gif

thanks all. BTW, I'm cooking for 17 adults and 5 kids.

Well, to tell the truth I'm not sure.

I could get a fresh shank ham or a ready to eat one.

Would I have time to cure a fresh ham in time to take out of the cure by Friday morning?

Yes, if you wet cure. No, if you dry cure.

Personally, I just brine fresh hams and either grill-roast or low-and-slow them.

If you want a cured product and don't want to go through the cure motions, get a nice ready-to-cook.

I smoke those shanks over cherry and apple, sometimes add a hint of hickory, and they are wonderful. I mean like the best ham you've ever had. Remember to trim the fat down so the smoke can penetrate, use the cross cuts to help the fat render some (it won't be on as long as butt), and add your glaze only at the end.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
Rob,

This http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=98110183&f=2880069052&m=3850093152 is a sure hit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom!!! Wow that recipe looks incredible. I went out and ordered an 18.5 lb shank end ham.

Also went to watsons and ordered the butter pecan extract. Wow. Thanks for pointing it out.

Now to figure out the right smoke wood. The ham was presmoked w/hickory so I'm thinking of doing an apple/cherry mix.

thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back