WSMing first prime rib--- couple of questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Merry Christmas, everyone! Tomorrow I'll be using the WSM to cook a 7.5 lb. prime rib. I've been dry-aging it in the fridge since Monday evening. Tonight, I'll take it out and prepare it for cooking using the Montreal rub recipe. I'm planning on cooking it at about 300 degrees (does that seem about right?).

I gave myself an early Xmas gift of a BBQ Guru (4cfm fan model). This will also be its first use. I'd like to ask opinions on a couple of things. 1) Should I use the ramp mode for this cut; and 2) I plan to use pecan and cherry wood, but all I have are chips. I plan to use a fist full of chips to approximate a chunk of wood. Since chips go up so quickly should I do the foil-poked-with-holes method or should I just plan on replenishing? I don't want to oversmoke it.

Advice, tips, and suggestions are greatly welcomed and appreciated!

A joyous and safe holiday to you all!
icon_smile.gif

Howdy Michael.

My opinion: Start your cook at a higher temp. 375-400 if you can hit it. Then when you put the roast on shoot for 300. The ramp mode probably won't be necessary on this cook since it's not a long one but you can use it if you wish. I would use the foil pouch for your smokewood and I would mix your chips first and then use no more than one fist full.

That's my take. Others might have a different perspective. Have a wonderful holiday. And welcome to the boards.

Hello Michael,

I'd say Kevin's advice pretty much nailed it. The ramp mode shouldn't matter much (at least in the beginning) since you need such a high starting temp.

It could matter if you needed to hold the meat later on but since this isn't exactly a ..... chuck roast.... I bet you're probably going to keep your eye on it.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not completely sure about this but my advice would be to get as much smoke on the meat as you can early. The high temps from this cook could seal it fast to the smoke taste.

I believe the way to do that is to put it right on the smoker right out of the fridge but I'm not completely sure.

I just bought a guru myself. One thing I missed in the instructions? Make sure the vent leading from the fan is pointed down. I had it pointed straight up and couldn't figure out why I couldn't hold my temp over 300 till Bill Hays figurd it out for me.

Hey, best of luck, seasons greetings and let us know how it turns out OK?

Thanks, folks! I'm grateful for the help! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back