WSMing a Wild Boar Shoulder? Doable?

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
My brother recently shot a wild boar near Coalinga here in CA. It was about 110lbs, and the butcher left the shoulder intact so I could Q it. I did a search and found a few things about wild boar here on tvwb, but not much. Has anyone ever cooked a wild boar shoulder just like a domestic hog shoulder? I was thinking of making pulled pork out of it, but am concerned that since the meat is more lean than regular pork, it may not be very good. Maybe braising would be a better option? The catch, though, is that my brother said that the guide who helped him get the boar said that they (the pigs) have been eating barley out of farmers' fields for several months...which leads me to believe that maybe the wild pig will in fact be fatty/collegeny enough for Q? Maybe?

Phil,
I have shot many wild boar along the Russian River. But, have never smoked one, yet (can't get past that gamey flavor). Anyway, if you do smoke that hunk of meat, please post your results as I am curious as to whether or not to smoke one in the future.

Personally, I would think there may be enough fat as there's certainly a lot when I skin the beasts (by comparison to the dog sized deer shot in the same geographical area). ;-)
-Phil

I’ve done wild pig shoulder on a smoker….The one I had was real lean I wrapped in with some bacon to try to help with the fat content. Some one suggested to me that wild pig does not handle being overcooked and the temp to take it off the smoker is 150-160*, wrap in foil and let rest for a couple of hours.. Hope this helps.

The ones here have enough fat (usually). It's finer though (usually) so one sees a lower finish internal (usually) and I (usually) foil it somewhere in the plateau. The grain is tighter than domestic.

I don't find boar unpleasantly gamy but if you do (or think you might) you can soak it for a couple-3 days in milk or acidulated water, changing it frequently. For the latter, cover the shoulder with cold water then add a quarter-cup each of vinegar and lemon juice, mix, and keep cold. Change several times.

Thanks for the hints, guys. Maybe I will pass on the Qing. It sounds like maybe braising would be a better method.

I have smoked wild boar shoulder in the same method as I would normally.....I wild boar shoulder I smoked was much, much leaner and didn't produce nearly the same results --didn't exactly "pull" well....but it was good!

Back