WSM vs. Smokin Tex

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm fairly new to the BBQ scene, but have been seriously grilling for many years.

I want a smoker mostly for ribs, butt, briskett etc. I've seen some of the various models of electric and charcoal and I have a New Braunfels grill/smoker (but without the offset box).

Anyhoo...my main concern with the WSM is the amount of spareribs or BB's I can fit in the smoker. The Smokin' Tex has what appears to be a lot more capacity. I know it's electric too.

So which smoker would be better? I'm just a backyard dude with no aspirations to compete. But I do feed up to 20 people from time to time.

In summary, I want to know about the rib capacity for the WSM as well as cooking quality when compared to the electric Smokin' Tex.

Thanks!

Curtis:
I too am a newbie to barbeque but have been grilling for years. I just bought my WSM prior to Memorial Day. I also had previously purchased two (2) Weber rib racks. One of them got misplaced. On Memorial Day, I cooked eight slabs of spare ribs on my WSM. I placed four in the rib rack on the top grate without cutting them; and I rolled four slabs and placed them on the bottom grate. They came out really tender. I was very frustrated for having misplaced the other rib rack and did not turn the ribs during the entire cooking process..., but I should have. Also, Stogie (Kevin Taylor) had a photograph which I saw a couple of weeks ago where he cooked approximately 20 slabs using 1 WSM...I don't know how to get around the forum too good, but maybe someone else will chime in and link you to the photos that I mentioned. Also, I just remember reading this week where I believe Stogie is going to cook for approximately 120 people...I think he said he was going to use only 3 WSMs. Maybe you can look him up and send him an email... Thanks.

Curtis,

I wouldn't worry about the WSM's Capacity too much. It can hold an amazing amount of meat.

If you have large groups to feed, a better concern would be: how many WSM's can you fit in your yard? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Curtis

I have a Cookshack Smokette along with 2 WSMs. I believe the WSM has more capacity than the Cookshack and the product it produces is much better. I strongly recommend the WSM. The Cookshack gets very little use.

Paul

Awesome! Thanks guys! I'll be buying the WSM.

Also after looking at the mods to hold more meat, I'm even more convinced. This site is a great resource as well and that makes the decision even easier.

I too would be interested in a picture from Stogie on how he packed his WSM. I just did a search on his recent posts and did not see antyhing available.

Can somebody get word to him (now that the email feature is disabled) to ask him to post it?

Thanks,
Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back