WSM vs Offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
Why is it that everything cooks so much quicker in my Pitts & Spitts offset vs my WSM? I put two 6lb pork butts and one 12lb packer cut brisket (that I cut in half at the point/flat) around 9:30am this morning and it's now 3:30pm and everything is up to around 170F. I even keep the same temps that I did in my WSM. My WSM would have taken about another 4-5 hours for the butts to be done...

Russ
Offsets moves a lot more hot air than a WSM which gives you another set of things to deal with. I don't find that offsets cook that much faster but I have never cooked on Pitts and Spits
Jim

Could one theorize-- based on Jim's assertion that offsets move more air-- that, like in a convection oven, the meat is cooked more quickly, even though the temperature is the same, relative to the WSM? Through increased convection, the actual effective cooking temp is increased, therefore the cooking time is reduced? I know for certain that recipes for conventional ovens need to have time and temperature reduced if using a convection oven instead.

My old man is headed up to CT from
Kingwood on the 18th. He'll swing by and pick up that P&S and I will conduct highly scientific experiments for you over the course of the next few years...free of charge.
icon_biggrin.gif

Doug
I believe a kettle would work like a convection oven but in this case it has more to do with the fact that a WSM with size of a load doesn't get the air flow that the offset does. The air flow does carry some risk, it has a drying effect on the meat, an outer crust is more likely. Foiling techniques were delevoped by those who cook on offsets to offset that effect.

BBQ is an art because every piece of meat is different and getting enough cooks behind you to be able to read whats happening and make adjustments is what it's about.

Had Russ loaded up the offset with more meat I think would have found closer to same times as he get's on the WSM.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Doug
I believe a kettle would work like a convection oven but in this case it has more to do with the fact that a WSM with size of a load doesn't get the air flow that the offset does.
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
One more reason for a 22 1/2" WSM.
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back