wsm vs offset brisket question

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi Everyone,
I've read some postings here about
offset cookers vs wsm for brisket
basically saying that an offset will do better for brisket. How can this be?
Is it a space thing? Temp ? Taste Or what?
The many I've done on the wsm have been great.
So if someone could please enlighten me as to the finer points of this subject that would be great.
Thanks
John in Seattle

well, others will have their opinions, but this is what i know.

a real thick gauge metal offset smoker uses all wood sometimes for 14 to 16 hours to make a brisket. the belief is, it makes better Q among some purists.

i've had brisket cooked over mesquite for 16 hours. it was delicious and tender.

however, i've had brisket made on a WSM that was just as good. in fact some of my guest complimented me and said it was better than our local joint i love. the WSM has won many a competition among even the most hardcore purists.

in a case of taste, no one will ever really be able to say one is better than the other. it's really a matter of opinion. i owned a cheap offset and it was really not working out for me. i would love to get my hands on a sturdier pit to check it out. still, my WSM makes me very happy and if you're enjoying your brisket i wouldn't worry too much about an offset.

Well, this is one of those questions for which I would love to hear some views from some competitors. I think if you maintain a constant low temp in the 225 range with a smokey environment for 16 to 18hrs. it ought to produce the same Q. But my WSM briskets are different never the less. It is hard for me to see why exactly. I am comparing to a cheap New Braunfels offset, a huge homemade offset and a 27.5" kettle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fjt:
[qb]Well, this is one of those questions for which I would love to hear some views from some competitors. I think if you maintain a constant low temp in the 225 range with a smokey environment for 16 to 18hrs. it ought to produce the same Q. But my WSM briskets are different never the less. It is hard for me to see why exactly. I am comparing to a cheap New Braunfels offset, a huge homemade offset and a 27.5" kettle.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The main difference between them is that the WSM is a watersmoker. The Basting reqired in an offset might add some extra flavor. You could baste every hour in the WSM as well.
It is just not required.

John
It's not that an offset is better, it's that it will put more smoke on a brisket. An offset was invented to do brisket, that said we did an 8th in the Royal Inventational using a WSM in 2000, that was aginst a lot of offsets.
I have 2 offsets and I do use them just not often anymore. The rub I use is the same and the time is still the same. I put up WSM cooked briskets aginst offset cook briskets and I score very well.
Good cooking tech overcome the cookers every time.
John if you would like contact me and come to a competition in the area and you can judge for yourself.
Jim

I'm with Jim on this one!

We took 3rd Place in brisket last year at Minnesota(29 cookers total). We were the only WSM's there, all the others were either off-sets or pellet.

I have also cooked on a buddies off-set and noticed no difference in taste or texture.

Hey Guys,

You're all great ! Thanks for the knowledge. That seems to make sense.
I just was courious because
since I've started using the WSM in
competitions vs my old NBBD our scores have jumped way up in fact our brisket placed in front of all the offset cookers at the Oregon open in 2001. So I was like what am I missing here?
Also hi Jim and thanks for the offer
yeah maybe at the next cook off you and Jack can educate me further.
Thanks
John Seuferling

Hey John
Didn't know it was you, good seeing you weekend before last, even if it was for a bad reason. I think maybe you could teach Jack and myself a few things the way you were going up to the stage.
Jim

Hi there Jim,
Thanks man. One question so how much wood do you put on to get that "offset effect"? I've been usins 4-6
chunks.Anyway hope to see you soon.

Just Wonderin'
John

John
Try oak and use less to start than you would
fruitwoods, has a stronger flavor but goes great with beef.
Jim

HI Jim
Sounds like a good reason to do some cookin' .
Thanks
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back