WSM vs. big trailer pits at the Royal...

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I found it interesting that more than a dozen teams seemed to have a WSM as a 'backup' or dedicated for a certain category at the royal in addition to their big trailer mounted pits.

Jim R and I (Sultans of Smoke) were able to pull off 13th place in pork butt at the Royal Open this year using my WSM's.

Not bragging, but just affirming the fact that the WSM is the little engine that could!

The wind was about 5mph at the most, but the air temp got down to 37! Full ring of coals, full weber chimney of hot coals, cold water in the pan, 15 minutes, it was up to temp. Cooked a 4.92 lb butt for....I ain't tellin, but, we were in awe to see that we placed so high!

Thanks to Chris for a great site. Without you, there would be a much higher learning curve on these things.

Great site, great people, and great Q.

Steve

I agree with Steve... I have never cooked in competition, but I cooked my first butt yesterday, and except for a few small problems, the butt was AWESOME... That along with the baby baks sure made me the MAN of the evening !!!
I started the butt at 6:00 in the morning - it was dark and I thought I had all 3 vents closed... Well one was all the way open !!! So the first time I went to check (and I have 2 remote thermometers) I found my mistake... I kept wondering why my grill temp was staying around the 260 - 270 range !!! But I emember Jim saying that it was within range, so I never went to check on it... Anyway, I miscalculated a little on my charcoal (burning for about 4 hours with a vent open didn't help) and I had to add a little at the end... But I was patient and got the temp up to 196 on the butt - and it just fell apart in my hands !!!
Thanks to all you "real veterans" out there... Thanks to you I am beginning to learn to put out some great Q !!!
Thanks !!!

Steve,
I always take a bullet to a cookoff reguardless of whether I use it or not(but most of the time I do).I wouldn't leave home without it.It's even on my checklist.I usually do my chicken mine.
Man, I would be braggin on 13th in pork.There was a lot more teams behind you than in front of you so that's always good.Hey maybe I need to get up with you about pork because that's been my weak link all year..lol.Cograts on pork.
Willy T.

Steve,
It's the cook not the cooker /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
unless your talkn' about chicken cause a WSM is the best chicken cooker made.
Last year Jack and I took 6th in chicken and 8th in brisket at the Royal and Lynn Brocaw took a 1st ribs and reserve in 97. I don't think anyone should doubt that WSM is serious competion.
Great job Steve, enjoy your site.
Jim

Gary
There is no shame in adding charcoal during a cook. I add coals if needed, BBQ is about looking at the conditions have and adjusting to make the best Q you can.
Like Steve said he adjusted the cook to produce a 13th at the Royal Open (365+ teams cook I believe).
If the butt was Awesome then you did Awesome, that's how it works!
Jim

Steve,

Congratulations on your placing so high in the pork category. You beat a lot of top-notch competitors.

I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to meet you on Friday. We wandered past your site around 5-ish on Friday afternoon but didn’t see anyone around. I never got another chance to venture your way again. I can’t really remember why exactly, but do think that a fair amount of quality bourbon probably played a role.

Anyway, congratulations again on your strong showing at the Royal. I hope our paths cross again at another contest somewhere down the road.

Ken

That's ok. We had actually just left for Juggy's party. We were gone for about 30 minutes.

I was wondering when you were going to show up.

Thanks for the accolades. We had a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back