WSM Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. Rounds

Only had a WSM about 4 months. I have installed a 3 inch thermomator in the lid. The last 2 cooks I've used a probe thermo. to record temps at the top grate level. Probe was not touching the grate or my ribs. With sand in the waterpan, the temp at the top grate was 60 degrees higher than the lid thermo. It would seem the lid thermo should read the highest. Is this correct?

Today I have a pastrami on the WSM. I'm 2.5 hrs into the cook. I have a polder probe and a redi-chek remote both on the grate, they read 290degrees. I have a new candy thermo in a vent hole and a 3 inch thermo in the lid and they both read 250. Maybe when I change back to water in the pan when the weather warms. These temps may change. Thanks for your help.

My dome thermometer (Ashcroft) always shows 10-15 degrees higher than my Maverik probe on the top rack for the first few hours of a cook. After that, the temperatures slowly get closer & closer, and it's not unusual for my top rack to actually read 10-15 degrees hotter than the dome by the end of a long cook.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff. Many times on cooks of 6 hours or more there will be times that my top grate temps will be equal to or greater than the dome temps, and I test my therms regularly. This use to really bother me, you know heat rising and all. But I have chalked it up to one of those quirks of science that I can't explain and even if someone did I probably wouldn't understand it /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif . HAVE FUN!

Make sure your therms are not near the edge of the grate, that could also cause higher temps all other things being equal.

As time went on the lid and grate temps started to come together. And yes the grate probes were close to the edge,as the 5lb brisket(pastrami) took up most of the top grate. Thanx everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back