WSM Temperature

D_Bogdan

Happy New Year 2010!

I recently purchased a Tel-tru thermometer on eBay at a very good price. Installed it in the WSM lid opposite the top vent. Tested it i boiling water and was within one degree.
Prior, I was using my Performer therm thru a cork in one of the holes in the top vent. The Weber therm was also checked in boiling water and was within 5 degrees of 212 degrees.
Now the $1 million dollar question: the difference between the two therms was 40 degrees.

I do not understand why such a big difference?

Same thing happened to me DB... Check this out.
I've dismiss the entire ordeal after listening to Bob Correll
icon_biggrin.gif

The temp on the Tel-tru is 40 degrees lower than the Weber!? When I checked the Weber therm on the Performer against my Thermapen is was within 5 degrees.

Jim's statement is so TRUE indeed!

Just trying to make sense of the temp madness.

I think I will stick with the Tel-tru and adapt as I go on the BBQ journey.....

Unless I'm baking a souffle (and I don't), my concern with temps are minimal. Most of the time, I'm around to check the doneness of the cook, so a 10 to 30 degree dome temp difference is like a good gin and tonic to a goood gin and tonic.
icon_razz.gif

I've had a tel-tru on my 2006 WSM since 5 mos after I bought it..just upgraded the cooker to 2009 clone status..incuding the dome therm. I like the Weber therm better...same accuracy, better lookin' and 225* is @12 o'clock...even after a gooood gin & tonic, Jim, I can run this WSM thing
icon_cool.gif

Back