WSM Stays at 235..ALWAYS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
Every cook i have done

Butts, Brisket, BRITU babys, Texas Sprinkle Spares, Turkey Breasts, Whole Turkeys, Chuck Rolls,

All Stay at 235 degrees... I always use the Brinkman water pan mod...with every cook...

I'm not complaining..... the cook is always out of this world!!!!!!!!!!.... but i do not see how you guys run higher temps....maybe its the sea level or humidity conspiracy!!!!!!!

P.S. 235 is with every vent open 100 percent.... 2-8lb butts and 1 10lb briskt cooked for 18 hours.... and absolutly wonderful yesterday!!! My neighbors call on friday to find what they are buying on sunday!!!!!!!

Maybe it's because a dry water pan and only 10-14 pounds of meat-- instead of 26 pounds and 2 gallons of water-- let us achieve those higher temps when desired. But you've pointed out an important fact-- there's more than one way to skin a [insert your favorite BBQ meat here].

Question: are you saying you cooked 18 hours with all vents full open, and didn't have to add more charcoal? I'm skeptical.

Matt,

It looks like you have been on this site for a while, so I don't mean to be insulting, but have you calibrated your thermometer? I had not even thought of that being a problem, until I found a discussion thread here. I tested the 3-4 that I had around the house.... not a single one registered correctly. One was off by 20 degrees (too low).

Matt, I have the same problem and I've calibrated my thermos to make sure. I have to run all vents full open and use at least a full chimney of coals for the minion method to get to 235. For me to get to 250 (at the dome) I have to use some lump. This is with sand or water in the pan. I've come to accept it and modify my cooking times accordingly.

I envy the folks that can run there WSMs at 250 in the dome but I cope.

Do you use the Minion method for every cook? If so, try using the Standard method for your shorter cooks (4-6 hours). Your temps will start out in the high 300s and drop to where you want them thru vent control.

Also, Chris wrote in the temperature troubleshooting section:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Check Location Of Water Pan
I received an e-mail from a man who seemed to be doing everything right, but still couldn't get his WSM above 200*F. After exchanging a series of messages, I determined that he was placing the water pan right on top of the charcoal chamber, effectively smothering the coals!

Make sure the water pan is placed in the middle cooking section on the lowest set of flanges, right beneath the bottom cooking grate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For those that are having trouble getting up to temp...especially when using the Minion Method.

Your heat will be in direct proportion to how much LIT coals you put in. If 1 chimney only gets you to 235? and all your vents are open...then add another chimney full.

One thing you can do is to take the access door off. Watch it closley, as the fire will get hot quick.

Another trick, after you add the lit coals, don't put the middle section in place right away. Let those coals get a good hot fire going....maybe about 10-15 minutes is all you need.

I've cooked in some pretty severe weather...Green Bay in January...GO PACK! Never needed more than a chimney full of lit to get 250? in the dome. But, I also left that bottom section uncovered for several minutes.

That may do the trick.

Good luck!

Full water pan... yes have to add coal over 18 hours( are you kidding me)... havent checked the cals in a little while.....but will recheck again before the bird goes on tommarrow....... smoking 2 and frying 5!!!!!!!!!! action packed day... thank God im off work tommarrow!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by matt goin:
[qb]... yes have to add coal over 18 hours( are you kidding me)[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wasn't sure-- I've gone as long as 14 without adding any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back